The 2019 conference theme, Thrive Together, Diversity Grows Gardens celebrated the impact our industry has in the world and provided public gardens with some tools to be accessible and inclusive for all who work at and visit these spaces. We hope all that attended walked away more aware and inspired to make their institutions more inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible (IDEA).
Shifting to a virtual world in 2020 for learning, including our 2020 Virtual Conference, requires that we all think more about and stregthen IDEA principles. For an updated list of tips and resources for preparing and delivering accessible and inclusive virtual presentations, see here.
We know that many of our members are unable to attend in-person events in 2020. This is why we strive to have resources, tools, and more available year-round to all public garden professionals wanting to develop or improve diversity and inclusion practices. Maybe you’ve wanted to know where the Association stands on diversity and inclusion and what resources the Association has that embodies the spirit of the 2019 year’s theme, below we hope you can find that answer:
- The Association Diversity and Inclusion Policy Statement can be found here.
- The Association has an Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, & Accessibility (IDEA) Committee. Nominations for the Committee are accepted here.
- The Association is committed to finding and creating diversity and inclusion resources for members in our Library & Media Center.
- To learn about effective diversity and inclusion hiring, retention, and recognition practices and policies go to our Employee Development, Diversity, & Inclusion Attribute of the Public Gardens Sustainability Index. FInd useful resources for increasing your application of IDEA principles here.
- Learn tips on preparing and delivering accessible and inclusive presentations.