The 2019 conference theme, Thrive Together, Diversity Grows Gardens celebrates the impact our industry has in the world and provides public gardens with the tools to be accessible and inclusive for all who work at and visit these spaces.
In conjunction with this year's Annual Conference theme, the Association has launched the Employee Development, Diversity, and Inclusion Attribute in the Public Gardens Sustainability Index.
We hope all that attend walk away more aware and inspired to make their institutions more diverse, inclusive, equitable, and accessible. We also know that many of our members are unable to attend this conference. This is why we strive to have resources, tools, and more available year-round to all public garden professionals wanting to develop or improve diversity and inclusion practices. Maybe you’ve wanted to know where the Association stands on diversity and inclusion and what resources the Association has that embodies the spirit of this year’s theme, below we hope you can find that answer:
- The Association Diversity and Inclusion Policy Statement can be found here.
- The Association has an Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, & Accessibility (IDEA) Committee. Nominations for the Committee are accepted here.
- The Association is committed to finding and creating diversity and inclusion resources for members in our Library & Media Center.
- To learn about effective diversity and inclusion hiring, retention, and recognition practices and policies go to our Employee Development, Diversity, & Inclusion Attribute of the Public Gardens Sustainability Index.
- To find ways to strengthen ties to diverse communities off-site go to our Sustainable Community Development Attribute of the Public Gardens Sustainability Index.
- For best practices on how to engage and educate the broadest audience possible and get them to participate in on-site programming, go to our Engagement, Outreach, and Education Attribute of the Public Gardens Sustainability Index.
- Learn tips on preparing and delivering accessible and inclusive presentations.