The West Virginia Botanic Garden (WVBG) at Tibbs Run Preserve is seeking an experienced leader who is enthusiastic about gardens, education, and conservation. The WVBG is a non-profit garden located on an 85-acre site approximately eight miles from Morgantown, WV, the home of West Virginia University, and close to Pittsburgh (1.5 hours) and Washington, D.C (3.5 hours). Since the WVBG began working on-site in the year 2000, seven gardens have been developed, gravel and woodland trails along with a wetland boardwalk have been built, and an award-winning education and event center has been constructed. The new Executive Director will join the WVBG at an exciting time. To learn more about the WVBG, visit www.wvbg.org.
Position Overview: The Executive Director is supervised by the Board President and is accountable to the Board of Directors. S/he will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the programs, staff, expansion, and execution of the mission of the WVBG. This exempt position is an at-will employment and is subject to meeting performance expectations of the Board and to the availability of funding for the position. This is a full-time salaried position
Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Develops and implements the work plan to accomplish the annual goals and assures that the organization is making timely progress towards a long-range strategy that achieves its mission.
• Ensures that adequate funds are available through the development of a fundraising plan, grant strategy, and donor development and management.
• Maintains active involvement in fundraising to generate support for the Garden.
• Builds new partnerships, locally and statewide.
• Promotes the WVBG in West Virginia and to current and prospective funding sources both within the state and nationally.
• Supervises or explicitly delegates supervisory responsibility within the organization for all staff, volunteers, interns, and others conducting officially sanctioned activities on behalf of WVBG.
• Ensures that the facilities, grounds, and equipment are properly maintained.
• Develops and maintains a strong volunteer base for the Garden.
Education and Experience requirements include:
• Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience.
• Experience in the management of a business or non-profit organization including budget development and strategic planning.
• Strong leadership skills, personnel management, and team building skills.
• Success in fundraising including individual giving, corporate giving, and foundations.
• Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
• Experience in the recruitment and development of volunteers.
• Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize, oversee, and coordinate multiple activities.
• Ability to work some long days, evenings, and weekends for events and meetings.
Submit a cover letter reflecting compensation expectation and a resume indicating your related experience to:
West Virginia Botanic Garden
714 Venture Drive, PMB 121
Morgantown, WV 26508
Attention: Dave Barnett
or by email to: Dave Barnett at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the job is filled.
For a complete job description or for further information, contact Dave Barnett at email@example.com.