The Lead Horticulturist is directly responsible for horticultural maintenance of several themed garden spaces and may take a lead role in seasonal display development. This position may supervise other horticulture staff and volunteers with standard bed maintenance and new garden installations as needed.
Employment Type: Permanent, Full-time, Salary
Reports to: Horticulture and Facilities Manager
• Develop and execute yearly maintenance plans for each garden over seen.
• Work with the Horticulture and Facilities Manager in bed renovation and redesign.
• Oversee and perform garden and grounds maintenance tasks, including planting, weeding, mulching, pruning, mowing, fertilizing and others as required of each assigned garden space.
• Develop seasonal themed exhibit and displays as assigned.
• Safe operation of power tools such as mower, leaf blower and string-trimmer.
• Utilize organic pest management techniques under supervision.
• Perform light structural maintenance work or small engine repair as required.
• Supervise horticulture volunteers as required.
• Interact with garden guests as required.
• Other duties as required.
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated knowledge of basic plant maintenance.
• Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated knowledge of safe operation of tools and equipment.
• Willingness to perform hands-on horticulture tasks in all weather conditions.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds.
• Ability to work occasional evening and weekends.
• Customer service experience; ability to work with diverse populations and volunteers.
• Ability to work under supervision or independently.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to
Wellfield Botanic Gardens
Attn: Josh Steffen – Horticulture and Facilities Manager
1011 N. Main Street
Elkhart IN 46514