Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education, and the arts. The Education Department provides hands-on learning experiences for children, youth, teachers, and intergenerational groups of visitors in the arts and sciences to educate and inspire life-long learners.
This is a part-time position, with a 16 hours per week schedule, ideally Tuesday-Friday from 9:00am-1:00pm. The position will start in September with a commitment through though the academic school year, with a possibility to continue. The pay rate is $18 per hour.
The primary responsibility of the Educator is to teach virtual and in-person school programming including academic year field trips, partnerships, teacher workshops and summer camps. The Educator works with a team of education staff to implement programs for students from pre-K to 12th grade, including seasonal outdoor investigations and off-site programs. In addition to daily teaching, the Educator will perform administrative duties such as program material maintenance and ordering of supplies, and other duties as needed.
In addition to the following qualifications, the ideal candidate should be energetic, reliable, and organized.
• Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental/nature education, museum education or related field
• Experience teaching school-aged children in an informal setting and virtual teaching is a plus
• Cultural competency to work with diverse audiences and have a progressive, social and environmental justice-oriented teaching style
• Comfortable interacting with groups of children in a classroom setting and outdoors
• Computer skills that include remote platforms and Microsoft office
• Strong interest in Wave Hill’s education programming and mission
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
Please send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. State Part-Time Educator in the subject line. No phone calls please; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates asked to be interviewed for the position will be required to present a lesson plan using information provided by the School Programs Team. No calls please.