The Volunteer Services Coordinator is responsible for the advancement of the volunteer program at Tohono Chul through the active recruitment, screening, orientation/training, scheduling and supervision of Tohono Chul’s volunteer corps. The Coordinator also interacts directly and indirectly with the visiting public on a regular basis and plays a key role in ensuring an exceptional visitor experience. The Coordinator’s duties involve leadership, planning, administration, record keeping, and supervision. The position is part of the Education Department and reports to the Interpretive Programs Manager.
This is a 40 hours per week position. Due to the nature of this position, evening and weekend events may require some flexibility in the scheduled hours of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly spends long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. During special events the employee may be required to spend hours on their feet. The employee frequently is required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch; and talk and hear. The ability to use fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, control or feel objects. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, anything greater should be done with assistance.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employees work might require them to be outdoors in both hot and cold weather. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assess, place, and schedule all volunteers
• Maintain volunteer database and track volunteer hours
• Keep volunteer information up to date
• Develop and execute recruitment strategies to build awareness of Tohono Chul’s volunteer program focusing on diversifying the volunteer pool
• Provide initial orientation and training of all new volunteers
• Ensure effective working relationships and rapport between staff and volunteers
• Provide resource support for volunteers and department heads
• Prepare and maintain volunteer publications and materials including a volunteer newsletter
• Coordinate specialized volunteer training with department heads and periodically assess and assist in retraining volunteers through continuing education offerings
• Plan and execute recognition programs and events to honor volunteer achievements, and improve opportunities for volunteers to socialize
• Coordinate scheduling of special events volunteers with department heads and assist with special event logistics as appropriate
• Participate regularly in said events
• Other duties as assigned
The above description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principle function of this job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Education and Experience
• An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Two or more years’ experience in coordinating and supervising volunteers
• Proven success in developing innovative volunteer programs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong organizational skills including time management and multi-tasking
• Ability to focus on tasks for extend time
• Attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with volunteers and the public
• Proficiency with Windows 10 and the Microsoft Office Suite; experience with desktop publishing a plus
• Experience with an off-server maintained volunteer scheduling program such as Volgistics, preferred
• Training experience a plus