Tohono Chul seeks a team-oriented Propagation Plant Specialist who will thrive in a fast-paced environment and who is well-suited to working collaboratively with staff and volunteers. Responsible for propagation, cultivation, fertilization and care of plants in a nursery. Working conditions include outdoor environment, extreme temperatures, lifts or carries heavy objects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for watering and irrigation maintenance of propagation and inventory areas.
• Plant maintenance – pruning, weeding, fertilizing etc. of purchased and propagated plants.
• Propagate from seed, cutting and divides for the following:
o Conservation List – plants native to Pima County – 164 species
o Botanical List – plants that grow in Tohono Chul gardens – 98 species
o Pollinator Plants
o Introducing new varieties appropriate to our mission.
o Special Requests.
• Identify, label and deliver plants from propagation to the retail nursery.
• Responsible for supervising, assigning duties and training over 50 volunteers.
• Responsible for maintaining inventory records, plant growth records and building/maintaining a database specific to plants that Tohono Chul propagates.
• Responsible for maintaining, collecting, cleaning/processing and inventory of seeds as well as preparing seed packets for planting or sale.
• Assist with semi-annual plant sales and other Park events.
• Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as trucks, tractors, golf carts, chain saws, electric clippers or other equipment to perform tasks.
• Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers or axes.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of care and cultivation of plants including propagation.
• Knowledge of equipment and tools used in maintaining the nursery.
• Knowledge of plant diseases and pests and effective methods of controlling them.
• Able to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Able to follow oral and written instructions.
• Able to work effectively with a team.
• Required to work in all kinds of weather and spend most of the day on feet digging, raking and doing demanding physical labor.
• Minimum three years’ experience in propagating desert plants and horticulture experience.
• Degree in horticulture, botany, plant sciences or related field.
• Computer experience using Word, Excel and or other types of databases.
• Must meet all physical requirements and be able to take direction.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, anything greater should be done with assistance.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, pesticides or other chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Submit resume and cover letter via email to:
Penny Poynter, Director of Finance and HR