Tohono Chul seeks a team-oriented Maintenance/Custodial Assistant who will thrive in a fast-paced environment and who is well-suited to working collaboratively with staff and volunteers. Responsible for performing custodial duties, maintenance and other miscellaneous duties to ensure Tohono Chul’s grounds and buildings are clean, healthy, safe, sanitary and in good working order. Working conditions include outdoor environment, extreme temperatures, cleaning materials and equipment and lifts or carries heavy objects. This position requires a flexible workweek with potential to work on evenings, nights, and holidays.
This employee is responsible for the use of safety devices and protective equipment in order to minimize the frequency and severity of work-related accidents. The employee is responsible for using safe practices and methods in the operation and supplies related to their job. The employee is further responsible for notifying their supervisor any conditions within the building or grounds that may be hazardous to employees, volunteers or visitors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, anything greater should be done with assistance.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee works on a daily basis with dangerous and toxic cleaning products that can be very harmful to ones health if not properly utilized. In some cases, these products give off unpleasant odors. This position regularly has to clean up blood, saliva and other bodily fluids that are unpleasant to deal with. The condition of washrooms is often unpleasant. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, polishing, vacuuming and steam-clean or shampoo carpets.
• Service, clean, sanitize and supply restrooms using established practices and procedures.
• Clean sinks, countertops, microwaves, and refrigerators in office areas
• Clean windows and windowsills
• Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment
• Remove trash and usable boxes to appropriate areas.
• Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
• Follow procedures for use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
• Move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks
• Prepare orders for janitorial supplies and stock shelves when delivered.
Maintenance: • Inspect buildings, equipment, and systems to identify maintenance needs. • Repair faulty equipment and damaged structures. • Manage HVAC and plumbing systems to guarantee functionality.
• Perform and/or report major and minor maintenance repairs.
• Setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, weddings and other events.
• Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as trucks, golf carts, or other equipment to perform tasks.
• Ability to use any hand tools required to perform maintenance or make repairs.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Building maintenance experience required • Basic understanding of electrical systems and plumbing required.
• Working knowledge of cleaning materials and equipment and ability to learn and practice acceptable cleaning methods.
• Ability to read and understand labels and instructions, particularly on the use and application of cleaning chemicals and products.
• Able to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Able to follow oral and written instructions.
• Able to work effectively with a team.
• 2 years of building maintenance experience • Basic understanding of electrical systems and plumbing
• One year of janitorial experience preferred.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Must meet all physical requirements and be able to take direction.