Assistant Garden Supervisor/Sustainable Landscapes
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Assistant Garden Supervisor provides timely and reliable support for assisting with the supervision of gardeners and acts as a lead in the department's landscape sustainability efforts, as well as directly performing gardening care, maintenance of the Scott Arboretum’s plant collections and performing other campus groundskeeping duties to maintain and keep safe the paths, roads, turf areas, fields and additional properties of the College.
• Acts as a lead in the department’s landscape sustainability efforts by coordinating programs such as development and maintenance of organic lawns, tree care and maintenance, or storm water best management practices.
• Oversees the operation and maintenance of irrigation systems.
• Must supervise and perform horticultural tasks on the Scott Arboretum's gardens and plant collections to maintain the high horticultural aesthetic that is expected.
• Leads Arboretum tours and assists in educational functions of the Scott Arboretum.
• Performs other groundskeeping duties and maintains gardening equipment that is required by the department.
• Must interact well with coworkers, supervisors, students, faculty, staff and Scott Arboretum staff and volunteers.
• Must work effectively, both independently and as a team member.
• Assists Garden Supervisor in directing 4-8 staff (full-time, seasonal, students) performing horticultural duties. Supervises these staff in the absence of the Garden Supervisor.
• High School diploma plus formal education in horticulture or related science
• 5-7 years of gardening/horticulture experience
• Demonstrated supervisory experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of ornamental plants and turf: identification, culture, insects, diseases and cultural problems.
• Familiarity with the control or management of the common diseases, insects and weeds of ornamentals and turf in the mid-Atlantic region.
• Familiar with the care, operation and maintenance of hand and power gardening tools and equipment, hand and power pesticide sprayers and grounds power equipment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of horticultural sustainability and the ability to implement these principles on the job.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. For more information and to apply, please visit: http://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job. This is a salary grade non-exempt 06. http://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job/494129/assistant-garden-super...
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.