SHR is currently seeking an individual to serve as an additional full-time gardener. This position will support the Director of Horticulture in the maintenance and development of the gardens, applying best practices in horticultural techniques to a wide variety of plant materials to ensure they are maintained to the highest horticulture standards. This individual will monitor, manage and maintain garden areas including new installations, weeding, watering, pruning and grooming, composting, mulching, identifying problems and treating them.
SHR is a nationally recognized native plant arboretum and research center dediciated to sustaining the natural ecosystems of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We accomplish this mission through the preservation, cultivation and display of plants native to the region, and by advocating for their value through education, restoration and research. Our staff functions as a single team, dedicated to outstanding guest and partner service and excellence in conservation. To adhere to our culture of excellence, we have defined the following outcomes for this position.
Demonstrate and understand internal and external requirements in regard to all tasks by:
• Following established operating procedures and policies
• Taking direction while showing initiative, and thriving in a work environment where all staff wear many hats
• Communicating effectively with colleagues and showing enthusiasm for working in a team environment
• Creatively problem-solve new solutions to tasks and problems
• Maintaining gardens with pride and ownership, achieving a high standard of aesthetic display
Gardening & Landscaping:
• Maintain all plantings on a daily basis, including watering, weeding, deadheading, mulching, fertilizing, pruning, and other maintenance as directed
• Operate and maintain tools and equipment, including blowers, trimmers, utility and company vehicles to transport materials and equipment
• Maintain landscape features such as walkways, stonework, and trails as directed
• Monitor garden conditions for visitor safety and reporting problems to supervisor
• Report problems related to pests, diseases, and/ or damage to gardens and ground
• Assist with propagation of plants, seed collecting, and other greenhouse tasks
• Assist with recordkeeping related to chemical applications, plant documentation, and equipment inventory
• Supervise and work with garden volunteers
• Work with SHR colleagues on conservation and restoration projects
• Perform tasks related to weather protection to include repair work related to storm damage
• Perform proper weeding by hand in landscape beds to create a neat, clean appearance and inhibit the growth of weeds
• Assist with landscape renovations to include performing landscape construction to improve the visual impact of the garden
• Assist with tour and event setup and breakdown as required
• Maintain cleanliness of all assigned areas as needed
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Working knowledge of methods, materials, techniques, tools and equipment used in a wide variety of grounds maintenance activities.
• Knowledge of the planting and care of native perennials, woody shrubs, and trees, and the appropriate control measures of their major pests and diseases.
• Proficient in the use of computers and MS Office applications.
• Ability to lift, carry, push or pull 50 pounds. Position often requires strenuous activity outdoors with exposure to a variety of conditions ranging from hot and humid to cold and wet.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in horticulture, landscaping, or any combination of related skills.
• Proficiency with irrigation installation and repairs.
• Comfortable performing minor repairs on power equipment.
• Preference will be given to those candidates with experience in a public garden or museum environment.
Visit the News section of our website (www.southernhighlandsreserve.org) for PDF and more details. A competitive compensation package will be offered, including an attractive base salary and paid time off. If interested, please send a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. Please title the subject heading: Gardener – YOUR NAME.