South Coast Botanic Garden, an 87-acre urban oasis in Palos Verdes, CA, is at a tipping point toward significant success, with the recent unveiling of a stunning new $4 million Rose Garden, a show-stopping 400 square foot Living Wall, and the arrival of Hide and Seek, a long-term exhibition of eight remarkable large-scale works of fine art sculpture. There is even more excitement to come, with a long-range Vision Plan that will reimagine the entire guest experience, including the creation of a 3.5 acre Children’s Garden and a 17-acre Water Garden to be unveiled in the coming years. There’s never been a better time to join this dynamic team.
Director of Operations
Reports to Chief Operating Officer (COO)
It is imperative that the security, sustainability and physical growth of the institution be monitored and managed with a high standard of quality. The Director of Operations is responsible for the safety and security of the Garden, its staff and guests, and the integrity, growth, and functionality and improvement of the physical space. They will provide direct supervision of the Safety and Security Manager and assist the COO in the project management of capital and construction projects, including Requests for Proposals and budgets.
• Work with the COO to research, develop and implement permanent exhibitions and infrastructure changes. Partner with the Director of Horticulture to sequence plantings and design projects that allow for a seamless guest experience and with the Director of Special Events in order to optimize rental capabilities.
• Prepare RFQs/RFPs and participate in contractor negotiations for infrastructure renovations and new construction projects.
• Oversee and work with contractors, vendors and service partners for Garden operations, construction and improvement projects, creating systems that measure quality, project deadlines and payment schedules and proposal deliverables.
• Supervise, mentor, motivate, assist and evaluate the Safety and Security Manager.
• Work with the Safety and Security Manager to develop, implement and maintain a Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity plan for the Garden, including the training and evaluation of any staff with direct responsibilities, new and improved processes and procedures, and all-staff communications, exercises and drills.
• Provide vision and leadership to develop physical and information security initiatives, including auditing existing systems, periodic risk assessments and recommend security policies, activities and standards.
• Oversee the contracted custodial crew and provide protocols for all guest amenities.
• Work with Parks and Recreation Facilities team to ensure that an overall maintenance of the grounds including electrical, communications and data infrastructure, plumbing, HVAC, electrical and emergency management systems, solid waste disposal, water lines, sewer lines, trail construction and maintenance, and exhibit installation and maintenance are in place and meeting the needs of the Garden’s stakeholders.
• Work with the Safety and Security Manager to prepare and manage the Ranger budget, including safety needs.
• Serve as a member of the Garden’s leadership team.
• Perform other duties as requested by the Chief Operating Officer.
• Bachelor level degree in Management, Business, Organizational Management or a related field and 3-5 years of applied experience
• A minimum of three years of management experience in a visitor-based field
• Working knowledge of building and infrastructure construction, and/or program/project management, with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and budgets
• Strong supervisory skills with diverse groups of people
Position is full-time, exempt. Must be available weekdays, some weekday evenings, some holidays, and some weekends. Pay rate DOE. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.