The Horticulturist at Shangri La Botanical Gardens & Nature Center manages the design, care, and presentation of permanent and temporary outdoor horticultural displays in assigned areas and assists grounds team with other projects in the garden, as needed. Knowledge of general horticultural principles, landscape maintenance techniques for display and educational purposes in public gardens, and ornamental and regionally native plants is especially desired.
• Assess area regularly and implement maintenance tasks.
• Oversee installation, management, and maintenance of plant displays.
• Demonstrate and train staff about proper application of best horticultural practices that include, but not limited to, fertilizing, pruning, weed control, proper moisture levels, and pest management.
• Organize and schedule maintenance projects on a weekly and seasonal basis.
• Identify and coordinate volunteer needs to assist staff with projects and garden maintenance.
• Identify projects and areas in need of renovation; develop plans, obtain approval and coordinate project execution with the Director of Horticulture.
• Assist Director of Horticulture with design development for seasonal outdoor displays.
• Maintain accurate records and create weekly activity reports.
• Interact professionally with visitors, volunteers, and staff.
• Promote the garden through presentations for in-house workshops and outreach to organizations, as well as occasionally guide tours.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Working knowledge of annuals, perennials, woody plants, and native plants with a desire to broaden the plant diversity in the gardens.
• Knowledge of sustainable practices and organic materials.
• Familiar with safe operation of hand and power tools.
• Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
• Written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals. Must be a team player able to work comfortably and effectively in cross-functional teams and contribute to building a positive team spirit.
• Work is performed in areas of frequent visitor interaction and requires excellent customer service while balancing need for productivity.
• Able to work independently within normal duties and responsibilities.
• Flexible and able to adjust to changing priorities.
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• Basic computer skills (MS Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, particularly the high humidity and temperatures of Southeast Texas. Work is most frequently performed outdoors, but may include some occasional greenhouse work.
Regularly required to use power and non-power tools, equipment, and bagged and bulk materials. This requires frequent standing, bending, kneeling, operating landscape equipment, reaching for objects, using a ladder, etc. May be required to move, push, pull or lift objects frequently up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
Schedule, Salary, & Benefits
Work week is Monday through Friday, with occasional work on weekends and evenings. The salary is commensurate with experience along with group medical, dental, and life insurance; retirement plan; 403(b); paid vacation, sick leave and holidays; uniforms provided.
An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany, or a closely related field is required.
A minimum of two years professional work experience in the industry is preferred.
Apply online by visiting our website at starkculturalvenues.org/about-us/job-postings/ and click on Horticulturist.