Position Title: Development and Membership Assistant
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Position Status: Regular, Part-time, benefits-eligible
Reports To: Development Director
Supervisory Role: No
Seed Savers Exchange is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to conserve and promote America’s culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for current and future generations by collecting, growing, and sharing heirloom seeds and plants. Our Development & Membership team engages and stewards members, donors, funders, sponsors and partners to ensure that we have the resources necessary to carry out our vital work.
Primary Role: The Development & Membership Assistant is a 32 hour per week position. The primary role of this position is to work closely with the Development and Membership team to ensure accurate and timely processing and acknowledgement of gifts and memberships, administer membership benefits, as well as a range of administrative operations including implementing, coordinating and monitoring of annual giving. They will assist with keeping data clean and accurate, developing processes and workflows with the Raiser’s Edge database, and overall work collaboratively to support the annual and longer-term initiatives of the Development & Membership team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The following reflects essential functions for this position:
● Proficiently navigate the Raiser's Edge database (training provided)
● Provide accurate and timely processing of gifts and acknowledgment letters
● Fulfill gift and membership benefits for donors and members
● Continually update and ensure accuracy of database protocol, gift and contact information
● Work closely with the Development Director, Gift Officer and Membership Coordinator to develop, implement and annually review Standard Operating Procedures around data management, data entry and gift processing
● Work with the Development Director, Gift Officer and Membership Coordinator to develop, implement and annually review appeals, campaigns, and acknowledgement pieces
● Assist in coordinating Membership and Development print mailings
● Assist with monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliation with Finance
● Format and send member, donor, and prospect email communications via Raiser's Edge OLX or Acoustic email platform
● Assist in preparation, execution and guest relations for fundraising and other events
● Perform other duties as required (including potential job sharing with other departments)
● Provide consistent financial reports for appeals, grants, and other restricted gifts
● Regular coordination and supervision of volunteers.
● Customer service or Order Fulfillment assistance Dec, Feb-April
Skills & Qualifications
● Minimum of one year of relevant work or internship experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
● Commitment to accuracy, excellence and high standards.
● Strong communication skills.
● Acute attention to detail.
● Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
● Ability to work independently and as a member of teams and committees.
● Commitment to donor privacy.
● Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge and/or Raiser’s Edge NXT a plus.
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office, NetSuite, Google apps, and record keeping a plus.
● Ability to sit at the computer screen for extended periods.
● Ability to handle seed packing, mailing assembly, etc.
● Paid PTO
● Paid Holidays
● Paid Long Term Disability
● Paid Life Insurance
● Employee Merchandise Discounts
● Health care, retirement and lifestyle benefits
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.