About Scissortail Park
The 70 acre Scissortail Park, links the heart of the city to the Oklahoma River, long aspired to and now part of the city’s “Core to Shore” master downtown development plan. This $135 million project is funded by a city-wide civic improvement tax. The new park, located just a block south of Myriad Botanical Gardens, features extensive gardens, a Great Lawn and outdoor performance venue, a lake and boathouse, a café, recreational facilities, children’s play areas, dog park, a civic scaled interactive fountain and multiple walking/jogging paths, all set within regionally-specific native woodland and prairie landscapes. Over 1,000 trees planted in the 36-acre Upper Park with hundreds more in the 34 acre Lower Park.
The Associate Director of Horticulture & Grounds works closely with the Director of Horticulture & Grounds and the Chief Operating Officer to create, implement, and develop an all-inclusive horticulture, landscaping, and grounds program for Scissortail Park. This position identifies and realizes the horticulture and landscaping vision for a safe environment at Scissortail Park. The Park is an attractive and popular local destination for the community, tourism, and special events.
The Associate Director of Horticulture & Grounds establishes an internal and external leadership role. The Associate Director manages all aspects of horticulture and grounds within the Park through recruiting, managing, and motivating employees as a working supervisor. The Associate Director creates a positive work environment where employees and volunteers are productive and appreciated. The Horticulture & Grounds programs will include gardening, an arbor program, horticulture, landscaping, and grounds keeping.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Schedules, plans, organizes and manages staff responsible for horticulture, grounds, and landscaping.
• Prioritizes organizational needs, concerns, and work orders while coordinating with other departments to arrange a timeline for completion and scheduling work assignments.
• Ensures compliance with applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
• Manages contracts for landscaping/grounds services provided by outside vendors.
• Develops policies and procedures for horticulture, grounds, and landscaping.
• Coordinates procurement of equipment, supplies and materials to perform required duties effectively and efficiently.
• Resolves construction related concerns, disputes and compliance issues.
• Prepares and completes various forms, reports, correspondence, purchase orders, budget documents, plans, records and presentations.
• Reads and interprets construction drawings, blueprints, codes and specs.
• Maintains all irrigation pumps, valves, plumbing, and equipment for the Park.
• Maintains a Preventative Maintenance program for all equipment.
• Coordinates with Special Events.
• Maintains a tree inventory and coordinate all arbor maintenance.
• Prepares all landscaping and turf maintenance.
• Maintains mowing, grounds, and landscaping equipment.
• Coordinates all mowing, trimming, weeding, edging, mulching, and other landscaping duties.
• Maintains all trees, plants, shrubs, and flower beds as designed by the landscape architect.
• Cleans and maintains all sidewalks, concrete, and pavers as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Arborist, Horticulturists, and Groundskeepers.
Skills and Abilities Required
• The ideal candidate will be highly energetic, committed, organized, and a problem-solver. Must have excellent planning, administration, financial management, and personnel management skills.
• Strong management skills and the ability to motivate and educate internal and external resources.
• Must be highly articulate and diplomatic with strong written and verbal communications skills.
• Excellent organizational skills, with emphasis on priorities and goal setting.
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and statistical analysis software.
• Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Ability to communicate information to staff and visitors.
• Work requires the ability to read codes, blueprints, reports and general correspondence.
• Work requires the ability to perform general math calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division as well as basic algebra.
• Work requires the ability to write estimates, reports, material lists and correspondence.
• Planning responsibilities include scheduling meetings with other departments, estimating material, labor costs, and time of completion.
• Researches information for documents, compiles data, and/or enters or oversees data entry and has responsibility for monitoring budget expenditures (typically non-discretionary expenditures) for a work unit.
• Must be able to work both indoors and outdoors as a working supervisor. Some locations visited during the course of executing job duties may not be wheelchair accessible.
• Must be able to meet the physical demands of working outdoors, direct staff, and work some evenings and weekends if required.
• Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds and to perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions.
• Must be able to bend, twist, reach, or climb stairs on a continual basis.
• Must be able to see and hear adequately to perform daily tasks and use equipment in a safe and secure manner.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
• Must be able to walk from office building to Garden and/or Scissortail Park facility.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of 5 years of horticulture or landscaping experience in a leadership role.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements
• Excellent word processing skills; must have expert-level skills with MS Office, especially Excel.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid Oklahoma Driver’s License.
Please email resume to email@example.com. You will be contacted only if considered for an initial phone or in-person interview.
This full time, exempt position is eligible for health, dental, life insurance, vision, short & long-term disability, critical illness coverage, voluntary life, accident coverage, 403(b), paid time off, and paid holidays.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Employer does not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.