About Scissortail Park
The 70 acre Scissortail Park, designed by internationally-acclaimed landscape architecture firm, Hargreaves and Associates, links the heart of the city to the Oklahoma River, long aspired to and now part of the city’s “Core to Shore” master downtown development plan. This $135 million project is funded by a city-wide civic improvement tax. The new park, located just a block south of Myriad Botanical Gardens, will feature extensive gardens, a Great Lawn and outdoor performance venue, a lake and boathouse, a café, recreational facilities, children’s play areas, dog park, a civic scaled interactive fountain and multiple walking/jogging paths, all set within regionally-specific native woodland and prairie landscapes. Over 1,000 trees will be planted in the 36-acre Upper Park with hundreds more in the 34 acre Lower Park.
This position reports to the Associate Director of Horticulture & Grounds and will be primarily responsible for the long-term health and management of new and existing trees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the management of the entire tree canopy regarding watering, planting, fertilization, soil amendment schedules, and selective pruning.
• Diagnose, identify, and recommend treatments for pests, diseases, and other pathological problems.
• Strong knowledge and identification of trees and woody plants.
• Must be familiar with tree industry personal protective equipment, climbing gear and hardware, rigging tools, ropes, knots, bends and hitches.
• Must be able to use power tools and equipment such as chainsaws, mowers, blowers, edgers, trimmers, and sprayers.
• Responsible for performing garden maintenance tasks such as weeding, watering, planting, mulching, picking up trash, spraying and other tasks as assigned.
• Assists with mowing and edging.
• Observe and remember details, establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
• Follow specified procedures in performing single or multi-task assignments, and may work as a member of a team with other staff or volunteers or work individually. Daily assignments are received verbally and/or in writing from the supervisor.
• Must have a keen eye for garden detail and a passion for tree care and horticulture
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements
• General word processing skills.
• Experience in use of standard office equipment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid Oklahoma Driver’s License.
• Arborist Certification by the International Society of Arboricultural (ISA), preferred.
Skills and Abilities Required
• Skill in using various types of equipment and tools.
• Skill in following arborist and horticultural procedures.
• Ability to perform preventive maintenance repairs on equipment.
• Ability to use work aids and hand/power tools.
• Ability to work well with others.
• Ability to make independent decisions.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Outside; continually exposed to heat, cold, humidity, dust, etc.
• Exposed to plant and tree pollens, bee or wasp stings, poison oak, ivy, or sumac and/or other allergy causing agents.
• Subject to working on or around slippery surfaces such as wet sidewalks, mud and oil.
• Exposed to hazards due to lifting, cleaning, and using tools and/or equipment.
• Will work near moving objects such as traffic and equipment.
• Exposed to toxins and chemical irritants such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, etc.
• Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to bend, twist, or reach.
• Vision and hearing either corrected or non-corrected to perform daily tasks and use equipment in a safe and secure manner.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
This full time, non-exempt position is eligible for health, dental, life insurance, vision, long-term disability, voluntary life, accident coverage, 403(b), paid time off, and paid holidays.
• Bachelor of Science in Forestry or related field is preferred.
• Two years’ experience in Arboriculture, Horticulture, or related field is preferred.
Interested candidates may apply by emailing resume to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)