Under direct supervision of the horticulturist, the Gardener will be responsible for the planting and maintenance of the San Antonio Botanical Garden. Preferred knowledge of trees, shrubs and annual color. Knowledge of maintenance or installation for display and educational purposes in public gardens is especially desired. The Gardener will work closely with the horticultural staff to maintain displays to an industry standard. This position will require communication and teamwork, in addition to independent work in assigned area. The position is expected to work a Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday schedule, 7:00am-3:30pm; schedule may change due to work load.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, the Gardener will have responsibility for the following activities:
• Installation and maintenance of horticultural displays including, but not limited to, preparing ground for planting, planting, fertilizing and conditioning soil, mulching, pruning, weed eradication, watering, mowing and edging turf, pest management
• Provide appropriate horticultural training to volunteers for management and supervision of volunteers to meet the standards of horticultural excellence set for the Garden in assigned area
• Interact in a professional manner to provide appropriate customer service to visitors, volunteers and staff
Job descriptions are guidelines that attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of employees, and are subject to change as needs and programs change. At the San Antonio Botanical Garden Society, Inc., they are considered neither inclusive nor exclusive.
Status and Scope
The Gardener will primarily manage the installation, care and presentation of permanent and temporary horticultural displays in assigned areas to meet or exceed the San Antonio Botanical Garden’s standards for horticulture excellence. Areas may include Native trails, Formal Gardens, Culinary Garden, Conservatory or Family Adventure Garden.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of horticulture, botany, floriculture, arboriculture, or closely related fields
• Working knowledge of trees, shrubs, perennials and annual color
• Ability to perform horticultural practices and skills; as well as irrigation repairs
• Ability to work with staff, volunteers, and the general public
• Experience working with volunteers and the ability to train and serve as a team leader for volunteers is preferred.
• Written and verbal communication skills; preferred bilingual
• Eye and appreciation for detail
• Initiative and follow through as well as the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and maintain a positive attitude at times of increased workload are crucial.
• Good organizational skills are required, with strong attention to details in all tasks.
• Successful candidates will also have the ability to work productively and positively in a team oriented environment and to provide quality customer service in a professional manner. Flexibility to work occasional long hours including weekend and evenings is needed.
The Gardener may occasionally be privy to confidential information, and must ensure that information is dealt with in the strictest of confidence and discretion.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs, climb a ladder, bend, kneel, and squat. Must be able to perform strenuous work on an ongoing basis in various weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold. Position requires stamina for leading groups on walks through the grounds on uneven surfaces and occasional extended days for special events.
Position requires the ability to work under pressure and maintain a positive and professional manner while providing excellent customer service and managing staff and volunteers.
1. Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
2. Work is most frequently performed outdoors, but may be performed in greenhouses, maintenance facilities or grounds of the Botanical Garden.
3. Expected to perform under minimum supervision and act independently within the scope of normal duties and responsibilities. Difficult or unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
4. Work will be performed in areas with frequent high levels of visitation, requiring excellent customer service and professionalism at all times while balancing the need for productivity.
5. On occasion, required to work extended hours.
Including, but not limited to: hand tools, weed eater, push mower, blower, hedger, rototiller, chainsaw, bobcat, golf cart, truck and trailer, etc.
At least 3 years relevant experience in the industry OR an Associate’s degree in horticulture, botany, floriculture, arboriculture, land management, biology, or related field with 2 years experience in the field.
Must possess or be able to obtain, within thirty days of employment, a valid class "C" Texas driver's license. NOTE: Retention of position contingent upon obtaining and maintaining required license.
Please send your resume and reference to Amanda Wielgosh AWielgosh@sabot.org or to the address below:
San Antonio Botanical Garden, attn.: Amanda Wielgosh
555 Funston Place
San Antonio, TX78209