Under direct supervision of the horticulturist, the Gardener will be responsible for the planting and maintenance of the San Antonio Botanical Garden, as well as assisting with plant propagation and nursery management as assigned. Knowledge of native southern/South Texas plants, fruits and vegetables, and maintenance for display and educational purposes in public gardens is especially desired. Knowledge of plant propagation and greenhouse experience, and irrigation is desirable. The Gardener will work closely with the horticultural staff to maintain displays to an industry standard. This position will require communication and teamwork, in addition to independent work in assigned area. The position is expected to work a Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday schedule, 7:00am-3:30pm; schedule may change due to work load.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, the Gardener will have responsibility for the following activities:
• Management and supervision of volunteers to meet the standards of horticultural excellence set for the Garden in assigned area
• Interact in a professional manner to provide appropriate customer service to visitors, volunteers and staff
• Installation and maintenance of horticultural displays which would include, but is not limited to, preparing ground for planting, planting, fertilizing and conditioning soil, mulching, weed eradication, watering, mowing and edging turf
• Assist with the germination, propagation and maintenance of plant material in the greenhouses to be used in the garden
• Demonstrate proper application of horticultural practices including fertilizing, pruning, weed control, and integrated pest management
• Provide appropriate horticultural training to volunteers
Job descriptions are guidelines that attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of employees, and are subject to change as needs and programs change. At the San Antonio Botanical Garden Society, Inc., they are considered neither inclusive nor exclusive.
Education: Associate’s degree in horticulture, botany, floriculture, arboriculture, land management, biology, or related field; or at least 2 years experience in the industry.
Experience: At least 2 years relevant experience in the industry.
Must possess or be able to obtain, within thirty days of employment, a valid class "C" Texas driver's license. NOTE: Retention of position contingent upon obtaining and maintaining required license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of horticulture, botany, floriculture, arboriculture, or closely related fields
• Ability to perform horticultural practices and skills; as well as irrigation repairs
• Ability to work with staff, volunteers, and the general public
• Written and verbal communication skills
• Eye and appreciation for detail
• Experience working with volunteers and the ability to train and serve as a team leader for volunteers is preferred.
• Initiative and follow through as well as the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and maintain a positive attitude at times of increased workload are crucial.
• Good organizational skills are required, with strong attention to details in all tasks.
• Successful candidates will also have the ability to work productively and positively in a team oriented environment and to provide quality customer service in a professional manner. Flexibility to work occasional long hours including weekend and evenings is needed.
The Gardener may occasionally be privy to confidential information, and must ensure that information is dealt with in the strictest of confidence and discretion.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs, climb a ladder, bend, kneel, and squat. Position requires stamina for leading groups on walks through the grounds on uneven surfaces and occasional extended days for special events.
Position requires the ability to work under pressure and maintain a positive and professional manner while providing excellent customer service and managing staff and volunteers.
1. Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
2. Work is most frequently performed outdoors, but may be performed in greenhouses, maintenance facilities or grounds of the Botanical Garden.
3. Expected to perform under minimum supervision and act independently within the scope of normal duties and responsibilities. Difficult or unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
4. Work will be performed in areas with frequent high levels of visitation, requiring excellent customer service and professionalism at all times while balancing the need for productivity.
5. On occasion, required to work extended hours.
Including, but not limited to: hand tools, weed eater, blower, hedger, rototiller, chainsaw, bobcat, truck and trailer, etc.
Please send your resume and reference to Amanda Wielgosh AWielgosh@sabot.org or to the address below:
San Antonio Botanical Garden, attn.: Amanda Wielgosh 555 Funston Place
San Antonio, TX78209