The San Antonio Botanical Garden is a 38 acre facility with diverse plant collections and displays including the Family Adventure Garden, Conservatory, Japanese Garden, Formal Display Gardens, and Native Plant areas. Under direct supervision of the Facilities Manager, the Facilities Assistant will be responsible for assisting with the operation and maintenance of the Garden facilities to include cleaning and maintenance to buildings / facilities / equipment / vehicles / other equipment as needed. Knowledge of general building/ facilities / and grounds repairs is desirable. The Facilities Assistant will work closely with the horticultural staff to maintain displays to an industry standard. This position will require communication and teamwork, in addition to independent work in assigned area. The position is expected to work a Sunday-Thursday, 7:00am-3:30pm; but is expected to adjust weekly / daily work schedules to accommodate the need to work special / evening events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, the Facilities Assistant will have responsibility for the following activities:
• Inspect and identify issues with machinery, equipment, vehicles, small engines.
• Management and supervision of volunteers to meet the excellent standards set for the Garden in assigned area
• Interact in a professional manner to provide appropriate customer service to visitors, volunteers and staff
• Identifies all set up needs for all meetings and events. Plus ensures that all are accomplished before event start times.
• Supervises custodial staff in absence of Facilities Manager.
• Works to open facilities each morning in absence of Facilities Manager.
• Advises supervisor of all supply needs to keep necessary inventory on hand for cleaning and maintenance of facilities.
• Supervision of third party contractors, as needed, such as painters, electricians, masons, mowing company, HVAC, custodial, etc.
• Assist Supervisors with planning, problem solving, labor coordination and reporting.
Job descriptions are guidelines that attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of employees, and are subject to change as needs and programs change. At the San Antonio Botanical Garden Society, Inc., they are considered neither inclusive nor exclusive.
Status and Scope
The Facilities Assistant will assist with managing the care of all the Garden’s facilities. Will provide assistance with the management team of the Botanical Garden in coordination of events and daily operations. Will troubleshoot equipment and building issues and prioritizing tasks; and effectively train staff.
Education: High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) and 3 year’s experience with Facility Maintenance..
Experience: Work experience in similar position helpful.
Must possess or be able to obtain, within thirty days of employment, a valid class "C" Texas driver's license. NOTE: Retention of position contingent upon obtaining and maintaining required license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of a varied number of facilities, equipment, required maintenance
• Ability to work with staff, volunteers, vendors and the general public
• Computer efficiency (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.), as needed.
• Written and verbal communication skills
• Eye and appreciation for detail
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules. Operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Initiative and follow through as well as the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and maintain a positive attitude at times of increased workload are crucial.
• Good organizational skills are required, with strong attention to details in all tasks.
• Successful candidates will also have the ability to work productively and positively in a team oriented environment and to provide quality customer service in a professional manner. Flexibility to work occasional long hours including weekend and evenings is needed.
Confidentiality: The Facilities Assistant may occasionally be privy to confidential information, and must ensure that information is dealt with in the strictest of confidence and discretion.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs, climb a ladder, bend, kneel, and squat. Position requires stamina for leading groups on walks through the grounds on uneven surfaces and occasional extended days for special events.
Position requires the ability to work under pressure and maintain a positive and professional manner while providing excellent customer service and managing staff and volunteers.
1. Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
2. Work is most frequently performed outdoors, but may be performed in greenhouses, maintenance facilities or grounds of the Botanical Garden.
3. Expected to perform under minimum supervision and act independently within the scope of normal duties and responsibilities. Difficult or unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
4. Work will be performed in areas with frequent high levels of visitation, requiring excellent customer service and professionalism at all times while balancing the need for productivity.
5. On occasion, required to work extended hours.
Computer/printer and related software (PowerPoint, Word, Excel), fax, office telephone. Including, but not limited to: hand tools, weed eater, blower, hedger, rototiller, chainsaw, bobcat, truck and trailer, etc.
Please send your resume and reference to Sam Hogg SHogg@sabot.org or to the address below:
San Antonio Botanical Garden, attn.: Sam Hogg
555 Funston Place
San Antonio, TX 78209