Mission: Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are
celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs, and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York. In FY20, the Garden served 164,546 visitors, including 14,378 schoolchildren. A recently completed visitor survey reveals that 45% of visitors speak a language other than English at home. This fact underscores the importance of the mission and the challenges and opportunities QBG faces daily in creating programs, exhibits and landscapes that serve the needs of people who live in and visit one of the most ethnically diverse counties in the nation. The Garden has committed itself to addressing the complex and ever-changing needs of its diverse community and to being the place where people, plants, and cultures meet.
The Marketing Manager, who reports to the Executive Director, will provide leadership in developing the Garden, its image and visibility, through traditional and innovative approaches.
• Develop, implement, and evaluate marketing plans and initiatives, including participating in program meetings and developing the capacity of board members, staff, and volunteers to serve as ambassadors for QBG
• Manage QBG’s public and community relations, including press and media relations
• Manage internal and external communication tools, including website and e-blasts, social media platforms, advertising, QBG’s profiles and ratings on various public sites, and related tools
• Provide content and editorial support for the QBG Member Newsletter and other publications
• Work with staff to attract and diversify audiences with the goal of bolstering admissions and participation and turning visitors into members and members into supporters
• Serve as the in-house graphic designer, coordinating and creating digital and print collateral, including banners, brochures, postcards, fliers, etc. Develop templates in accordance with recently adopted visual systems and assets; champion the organization-wide follow-through of QBG’s graphic and editorial standards and consistent voice and narrative with staff and partners
• Photograph Garden activities and programs as needed and oversee the organization and sharing of digital photo library
• Edit videos and virtual content to publish on website and social media channels such as YouTube
• Serve as the point person for various partner groups including the Queens Tourism Council, NYC & Company, Greater Flushing Chamber of Commerce, and other local entities, etc.
• Identify prospective partners and collaborate in the cultivation of partnership, sponsorship, and fund requests, particularly as they relate to the marketing of, and outreach for, public programs
• Prepare budgets and reports for outreach and marketing
• Supervise volunteers and interns
• Be involved in Garden-wide initiatives, such as strategic planning
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, graphic design, journalism, or related field
• Three plus years of experience in marketing and public relations, including wide-ranging experience in website and social media management
• Leadership, organization, communication, exceptional writing, supervisory, and technology skills
• Familiarity with Adobe programs InDesign, PhotoShop, and Illustrator strongly preferred
• Photography skills and aesthetic eye for landscapes, flora, people, and events. Familiarity with DSLR cameras a plus.
• Interest in cultural communities and organizations, sustainable practices, farms, public gardens, and museums highly desired
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends
Anticipated start date for this position is October 2020. This is a full-time position with benefits.
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter via our applicant portal, https://secure.beyondpay.com/ta/QBG1.careers?TrackId=[APGA]&ApplyToJob=3....