As part of the Garden’s growing team, we seek an enthusiastic self-directed Seasonal Youth Educator who will be responsible for creating and implementing inclusive educational programs for learners of all ages, both on-site and throughout the community.
This seasonal part-time position reports to the Education Director, with the possibility of becoming a regular part-time position. Clearances are required before start date.
• Promote, coordinate and present field trips and outreach programs, engaging students and adults in hands-on activities following the Garden’s curricula and protocols
• Develop and implement programs for families on topics ranging from horticulture, botany, nature art and ecology under the direction of the Education staff
• Lead Scout and youth groups independently, and lead weekend programs
• Assist in coordinating adult programs, setting up space, and ordering resources
• Maintain Education spaces, including the Nature Play Area and Garden of the Five Senses, by keeping areas organized, cleaning up and re-ordering supplies
• Assist the Volunteer Coordinator with recruitment, training and retention activities
• Engage with the public through programs, tours, and casual interpretation
• Assist with writing projects, such as blog posts or newsletter articles
• Work with the Education Director in providing exciting, informational exhibitions/shows
• As needed, work on projects that support the garden’s mission and development
• Assist with special events and other customer service tasks as needed
• Primarily outdoor work in all weather conditions with occasional work at special events.
• Must be able to traverse moderate to difficult site conditions related to Garden topography.
• Ability to lift at least 20 pounds.
• Must have clearances prior to hire date (Child Abuse Clearance; PA State Police Background Check; FBI Fingerprint Background Check).
• A valid driver’s license and personal vehicle required. Occasional work offsite for outreach programs at schools, libraries and other venues.
• Occasional weekend and evening work are required.
• Degree in horticulture, environmental science, biology or related field, or equivalent combination of training, skills and experience. Coursework in education is a plus.
• One to two years of experience in the field of nature-based) informal education preferred.
• Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas: PA native plants and animals, common landscape plants, temperate botany and outdoor education techniques.
• Demonstrated skills in collaboration and creative problem-solving.
• Strength in oral/written communications and the ability to manage multiple tasks.
• A passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden.
• Excellent positive attitude, ability to work independently, communicate effectively and respond to feedback from supervisory staff.
Email submissions only. Please send cover letter, resume and two professional references to email@example.com. All candidate submissions should be combined in a single PDF with applicant’s name in the file name. Please add “Seasonal Educator” on the subject line. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls please
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.