This dedicated and reliable individual will bring professional landscaping skills to the Garden, implement best stewardship practices, and assist Garden staff with achieving exceptional standards for garden maintenance. Excellent communication skills, respect and integrity are required.
This position reports to the Horticulture and Facilities Director, is supervised by the Display Horticulturists, and works closely with other Garden staff members. Clearances are required before start date.
• Primarily outdoor physical work in all weather conditions with occasional work at special events
• Typically this is a 24-hour workweek position, flexible hours will be required for Garden related functions
• Must be able to traverse moderate to difficult site conditions related to Garden topography
• Ability to stand, kneel, or bend for extended periods and lift 50 pounds
• Exposure to biting/stinging insects, poisonous plants, petroleum products and horticultural chemicals.
• Must possess a valid PA driver’s license and be willing to obtain a Pesticide Applicator’s license
Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs tree maintenance tasks e.g., tree planting, pruning and removal
• Maintains paths and removes invasive species in natural areas and along paths
• Monitors pests and diseases and applies appropriate pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers
• Operates equipment such as tractors and skid-steer loaders as well as standard garden power tools such as chainsaws, blowers, tractors and tillers
• Performs equipment maintenance on a variety of landscaping equipment (string trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, tillers, mowers, tractors, etc.)
• Participates in department documentation including records of accessions and plant care
• Motivates and leads volunteers and interns in the maintenance of gardens and landscapes
• Occasionally participates in non-horticultural projects and programs that support the garden’s mission and development
• Performs special studies, projects and assignments as requested
• Performs snow removal and assists with weather related emergencies e.g., storm damage
• Assists with care of a small flock of chickens
• Part-time non-exempt hourly position; compensation commensurate with experience
Experience and Qualifications
• 3 to 5 years of experience in the field of landscaping or horticulture
• Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas: arboriculture, PA native plants, fruit trees, integrated pest management, and the common landscape plants of zone 5
• Demonstrated skills in creative problem-solving and the ability to manage multiple tasks
• Ability to express ideas clearly in oral and written communications
• A passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden
• Proficient with equipment used in the landscaping trade, including larger equipment e.g. chain saw, tractor and skid steer
• Attention to details and ability to follow safety precautions and protocol at all times
Email submissions only. Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. All candidate submissions should be combined in a single PDF with applicant’s name in the file name. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls please.