As part of the Garden’s growing team, we seek a Seasonal Part-time Gardener who will attend to the Garden’s living plant collections and horticultural displays. This position assists in building gardens and maintaining plants and gardens. The Seasonal Horticulturist plays a key role in the appearance of the Garden and through his or her energetic attention to detail, technical skills and creativity.
This dedicated and reliable individual will bring horticultural knowledge and professional gardening talent to the Garden, implement best stewardship practices, and assist Garden staff with achieving exceptional standards for garden maintenance. Excellent communication skills, respect and integrity are required. Weekend duties will include caring for the Garden’s small flock of chickens.
This position reports to the Horticulture and Facilities Director, is supervised by the Display Horticulturists, and works closely with other Garden staff members. Clearances are required before start date.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs general garden maintenance such as watering, pruning, planting, mulching and weeding of the permanent and seasonal plantings.
• Monitors pests and diseases and follows appropriate Integrated Pest Management strategies.
• Operates equipment such as tractors as well as standard garden power tools such as string trimmers, blowers and tillers.
• As needed, non-horticultural projects that support the garden’s mission and development.
• Motivates and assists volunteers in the maintenance of gardens and landscapes, including record keeping and proper plant identification.
• Occasionally assists with special events and other customer service tasks.
• Non-exempt hourly position. Typically, this is a 40-hour Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Monday position.
• Hours are 7 am to 3:30 pm on Fridays and 8:30 am to 5 pm on weekends. Flexible hours will occasionally be required for Garden related functions.
• This position may have the possibility of extending into 2020.
• Primarily outdoor physical work in all weather conditions with occasional work at special events. Rain and cold weather clothing will be necessary. Boots are required.
• Must be able to traverse moderate to difficult site conditions related to Garden topography.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds.
• Cell phones and ear buds/headphones may not be used during work hours unless for emergencies or work purposes, this includes taking photos, listening to podcasts & music.
Experience and Qualifications
• Four-year degree in horticulture or related field, or equivalent combination of training, skills and experience.
• 2 to 4 years of experience in the field of horticulture, public garden experience preferred.
• Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas: arboriculture, PA native plants, perennials, fruit trees, container displays, and the common landscape plants of zone 5.
• Demonstrated skills in collaboration and creative problem-solving
• Strength in oral and written communications and the ability to manage multiple tasks.
• A passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden.
• Proficient with equipment used in the horticultural trade, including hand tools and small engine equipment.
• Ability to follow directions and willing to learn “PBG” best practices.
Email submissions only. Please send cover letter, resume and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. All candidate submissions should be combined in a single PDF with applicant’s name in the file name. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls please
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.