Pittsburgh Botanic Garden is a unique cultural amenity for the city built upon 460 acres of reclaimed mine land that Inspires People to Grow. The Garden features inspirational displays of gardens, horticultural and environmental education, and research into regional botanical, ecological remediation and conservation issues. The Garden is committed to taking a leadership role in the stewardship of the natural world and healthy ecosystems. As part of the Garden’s growing team, we seek an enthusiastic Education Director. This is a full-time exempt position, which reports directly to the Executive Director.
The Education Director is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of all educational programming using current learning theory and methodology, technology and museum best practices. Programming will be produced for the following audiences: adult and youth visitors to the Gardens; school groups; scouts; teachers; families; plus, at community outreach and on site public events. Responsibilities also include directing education staff and volunteers; current positions include Youth Programs Coordinator, Volunteer & Adult Programs Coordinator, and interns. The Education Director will plan, develop and execute exhibits.
• Using a systematic approach, design, develop, oversee and assess all education programming including plans for classes, schedules, and content for a range of audiences
• Produce meaningful and quality classes that inspire people to grow and take action to support conservation and sustainability
• Maintain high teaching standards while ensuring compliance with state and federal guidelines
• Develop an education strategic plan including procedures and policies
• Set, monitor and manage yearly departmental budget
• Research possible sources for education funding working closely with the development department to provide narrative content and statistical data needed for grant proposals and reports
• Oversee relations with local schools and universities as well as internships / externships and outreach programs
• Identify and cultivate new audiences for education classes
• Recruit, train and supervise volunteer garden guides
• Develop on-site exhibits; coordinating artists, educational displays, etc.
• Assist with educational materials and signage needed for interpretation of horticultural exhibits
• Build and employ an evaluation protocol for all programs offered including gathering statistical data needed for grant proposals
• Coordinate education program information for the Garden’s website
• Serve as staff lead for Garden’s Education Committee
• Teach classroom and in the garden programs, along with other staff.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental or horticultural science, agricultural science or related field
• Five years of experience teaching, directing and delivering education programs in a public garden, museum or related setting
• Experience managing public programming staff
• Ability to manage department finances based on yearly budget
• Demonstrated organizational skills
• Child development background helpful
• Knowledge of PA Common Core standards as related to environmental science
• Experience with STEAM and Smart Board technology and software desired
• Experience with citizen science projects
• Excellent oral and written communications
• Proficient with Microsoft Office; experience with Altru a plus
• Proven success in managing a variety of assignments simultaneously, on schedule and with strict attention to detail
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work well with cross-functional teams
• Experience working with people of all backgrounds, including persons of different abilities
• Able to obtain clearances (Child Abuse Clearance; PA State Police Background Check; FBI Fingerprint Background Check)
• Creative and innovative, flexible – self starter
• Knowledge of basic horticulture practices, Hardiness Zone 5 plants and natural plant ecosystems of the Allegheny Plateau region
Email submissions only. Please send cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter.