The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) plays an essential role in the vitality of the Philadelphia region by creating healthier living environments, increasing access to fresh food, growing economic opportunity, and building deeper social connections between people. PHS Healthy Neighborhoods team delivers this impact through comprehensive greening and engagement initiatives in more than 250 neighborhoods. Together with community partners, PHS carefully designs projects that build on neighborhood strengths and aspirations to use greening to improve the environment, health and quality of life in their communities. The Philadelphia LandCare program is an internationally recognized model for addressing vacant land in post-industrial cities through its innovative “Clean and Green” treatment and maintenance system. PHS is currently seeking a dynamic, talented, and extremely motivated Field Specialist, with growth potential to help with supervising, directing, and monitoring landscape construction activities on assigned projects in accordance with schedules, budgets, drawings, and specifications, while maintaining the highest-level quality of work.
This position reports directly to the Philadelphia LandCare Operations Manager, but will work closely with the rest of the Philadelphia LandCare team.
• Conduct site visits, verify addresses, and conduct surveys to document existing site conditions
• Monitor current PLC and Community LandCare maintenance sites
• Perform site audits and update maintenance inventory
• Assist with the selection of new stabilization sites
• Communicate daily with contractors to facilitate satisfactory job completion.
• Assist with job contract administration, project-related data entry scope of work development, scheduling, project meetings, project records and documents.
• Solicit vendor and contractor proposal to confirm compliance with scope of work and project requirements
• Assist in all phrase of project procurement and management including estimating, purchasing, scheduling, budgeting, construction, quality control and project close out.
• Manage development of project schedule and milestone compliance.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Three-year experience in Landscape Construction or related field
• Working knowledge of urban horticulture
• Experience with community service in an urban environment
• Full understanding of the Landscaping/ Construction process
• Well-organized, self-motivated, and willing to work both individually and as part of a team structure
• Comfortable working in diverse urban environments and spending most of the day doing fieldwork
• Familiarity with Philadelphia neighborhoods
• Valid driver’s license is required
• Ability to read and understand Construction Documents such as construction drawings, contracts, scope of work, schedules, specifications.
• High level of personal and professional integrity.
• Ability to multi-task, which requires strong organizational skills, attention to detail and quality.
• Good problem-solving skills to provide proper and expedient solutions to issues as they arise.
• Exhibit a positive and professional attitude with colleagues, contractors, and the community.
• Self-motivated, energetic, enthusiastic
• Capacity to multi-task in a composed and professional manner
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting
To Apply: Only candidates who apply via our Careers Page will be considered: https://phsonline.org/careers/open-positions