Position type: Fulltime employment, 40 hours per week. Non-exempt under Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Description: Norfolk Botanical Garden (NBG) is seeking a Horticulturist to maintain native, wetland and ornamental landscapes. The landscapes are primarily at offsite locations such as the campus of Virginia Wesleyan University and the Slover Library as part of NBG’s outreach initiative. The candidate must be able to work independently.
Essential Functions: Maintains horticulture beds and collections through weeding, watering, pruning, dead-heading, mulching, edging, raking, fertilization and pesticide application. Other responsibilities include supervising assigned students and volunteers. Has a valid VA driver’s license. Must obtain a VA Registered Pesticide Applicator’s license within 30 days of hiring.
Essential Physical Functions: Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend, twist and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull and perform manual labor during working hours.
• Health insurance including an HSA or copay option (NBG pays 70% of individual premium and 65% of dependent/family premium).
• 403(b) retirement plan with discretionary 4% match.
• Company sponsored life-insurance coverage.
• Group rates on voluntary benefits such as dental, supplemental medical expense insurance, vision, STD and accident.
• Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
• Professional development opportunities.
• Staff discounts on programming, gift shop & café.
• NBG logo wear for work provided.
• EAP services for all employees.
Equal Employer Opportunity (EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and ideals of equal employment opportunity. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice throughout NBG to foster equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants, employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status, if qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Specific Job Responsibilities
• Care and maintain all aspects of assigned gardens (excluding turf and irrigation) at the highest level of horticultural technique under the direction of the Director of Living Landscapes.
• Maintain display beds through weeding, watering, pruning, dead-heading, mulching, edging, raking, and fertilization.
• Perform the appropriate soil preparation and planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees.
• Develop and expand an in-depth knowledge of plants under their care and make plant selection suggestions.
• Complete accurate and timely accession records for all plants associated with the garden under their care and ensure that all plants are labeled appropriately.
• Partner with NBG Education staff to develop collaborative opportunities for VWC staff, students and guests.
• Occasionally works alongside members of the Horticulture Department in team projects at NBG.
• Operates small engine equipment and motor vehicles safely. (NBG vehicle, golf cart, weed-eater, blower, edger, etc.).
• Cleans, and uses hand tools and equipment responsibly.
• Familiarity with Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint.
• Assists with special events and other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Director of Living Landscapes
Education and Experience: Associate’s degree in Horticulture or a related field and 2 years hands-on experience or Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture and one year of hands-on experience preferred. Candidates should have extensive experience with native plants, wetlands and ornamental landscapes. Virginia Certified Horticulturist strongly preferred or obtained at earliest opportunity.
Visit https://norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/about-us/employment/ to download an application. Send application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org