As the assistant grounds manager you will join Newton Cemetery & Arboretum’s team of industry professionals in the daily care and stewardship of a historic landscape, accredited arboretum, and active cemetery. You will be immersed in an environment where new turf management strategies are being developed, and you will take a prominent role in helping to improve the Cemetery’s 100 acre grounds. You will also work with grounds management and expert industry consultants on projects such as pond restoration and long-term irrigation planning. In addition to working directly with the Cemetery’s grounds manager, this position will provide an opportunity to learn from other grounds management professionals, such as the Cemetery arborist, horticulturist, and greenhouse manager. The assistant position will build a strong skill set for a career in any area of the turf and grounds management industry.
Newton Cemetery and Arboretum is a historic cemetery and accredited arboretum founded in 1855 during the garden cemetery movement. Located just west of Boston, its 100 acres of scenic grounds provide a tranquil, park-like setting for visitors and is open to the public every day. Learn more at www.newcemcorp.org
Company 401k, health benefits, paid vacation, education/professional development expenses, association dues, uniforms
$22 to $26/hour dependent on previous experience
• Assists with planning and supervising the establishment and maintenance of owner lots, corporate areas and landscaped areas using best management practices
• Instructs equipment operators on the operation and care of mowing and other equipment
• Supervises and records the maintenance and repair of motorized and other mechanical equipment and tools
• Supervises and records fertilizer, soil conditioner, pesticide applications and/or operates and calibrates pesticide application equipment
• Supervises, and participates in the operation and maintenance of irrigation pumps, and in the maintenance of irrigation systems, ponds, and drainage systems
• Assists with personnel management evaluation, employee safety and personnel discipline; makes recommendations for staff professional development
• May serve in the grounds manager’s capacity in his/her absence, and may modify the daily work schedule based on professional interpretation
The candidate must be a team player willing to learn and participate in various Cemetery projects. Duties will require working outside in all weather conditions. Hours of work are Monday-Friday, 7:30 am-3:30 pm with overtime when required.
Minimum of an associate degree in a turf related field
A resume which displays progressive professional development in a turf related field
Please email cover letter and resume with references to Stephen Dean at email@example.com
Newton Cemetery & Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer.