Naples Botanical Garden is a 170-acre world-class paradise, featuring the flora and cultures of the tropics and sub-tropics including Brazil, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, and Florida. The Garden’s mission is to connect people and plants through display, education, conservation, and applied science. The Garden has beautifully restored native habitats, cultivated gardens, walking trails, and public programming that offer education and enjoyment for people of all ages. Naples Botanical Garden is a 501(c)3 organization.
Position Summary: Serves as a Aquatic Areas Gardener for Naples Botanical Garden. This position is primarily responsible for the maintenance and care of ornamental water features but may also assist as needed in other Garden areas under the responsibility of the Horticulture Department. Experience is great and we are pleased to provide specific training.
Duties assigned to this position include the following, under direction:
• Maintain water lilies, lotus, and marginal aquatic plants by deadheading and removing spent leaves
• Skim floating weeds and debris from pools.
• Clean skimmers and fountains to assure water clarity.
• Prepare and dig soil, shift plants, and move pots weighing up to 50lbs+
• Fertilize and apply pesticide/herbicide and dye
• Follow best practices and report and recognize potential problems or deficiencies
• As needed mulch, weed and clear areas free of litter and leaves
• Meet and lead Volunteer assistants
• Other duties as required and assigned
• A demonstrated interest in public gardening and/or landscape and grounds maintenance
• Self-motivated, energetic and independent worker
• Attention to detail, ability to lift up to and including 50 lbs
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and good driver's record and be capable of operating pickup trucks and other essential equipment safely.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of plant material, proper maintenance techniques, and correct horticultural practices, with good aesthetic sensibility.
• Ability to work well within a diverse and multicultural workforce, including volunteers.
• Ability to work as part of a team or individually with little or no supervision.
• Ability to operate all types of lawn/gardening equipment, blowers, trimmers, etc. safely.
• Good interpersonal communication, and literacy skills.
• Normal work hours are 8 hours a day; must have flexible schedule as work priorities or seasonal needs change. Schedule may include evenings or weekends.
• Must be able to work required overtime, often with little advance notice (e.g., storm damage).
• Must be able to work outside in inclement weather—extreme heat, high winds, and rain.
• Must be able to perform physical work including bending, stooping, and reaching.
• Ability to lift a minimum 50lbs.
• Must be willing to apply herbicides and pesticides under supervision.
• Pre-Employment background check required.
Naples Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Garden has a long-standing policy of employment and advancement based solely upon qualifications to perform the essential elements of a position without regard to age, creed, gender, national origin or ancestry, race, color, religion, veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, HIV status, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, handicap or mental or physical disability.
Please click on the link below to apply: