Reporting to the Director of Public Events, the Public Events Coordinator focuses on planning and executing a wide variety of free and fee-based events and programs to drive year-around attendance, making the Gardens a dynamic and vibrant community site that enlivens the downtown. These events and programs focus on a wide range of engaging recreational, seasonal, cultural, and performing arts programs and events.
The Public Events Coordinator serves as ambassador at events for Myriad Gardens Foundation, and must demonstrate professional excellence and perform to the Gardens’ standards of quality at all times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Public Events, this position plans and coordinates a year-around schedule of special events and programs that will appeal to diverse audiences of all ages, in alignment with the Gardens’ mission to grow into a dynamic downtown and state destination. Such events include festivals, musical events, fitness and wellness programs, outdoor and recreational programs and more. The department employs two Public Events Coordinators.
• Plans a mix of seasonal events and programs to generate earned revenue to meet Garden budget goals and drive increased attendance and membership. Assist with managing on-site event production and clean-up for events.
• Secures and coordinates all appropriate permits, licensing and other necessary local municipal approvals prior to event occurrence; manage material and signage needed for event presentation.
• Meets with presenters and vendors to coordinate program execution; prepares contract agreements and coordinates all elements necessary to produce the highest quality programs and events.
• Works with Facilities department to schedule event set up, trash, restroom, security and other tasks.
• Collaborates with Director of Public Events to identify and secure sponsorship, and develops marketing and promotion strategy for programs and events.
• Collaborates with the Volunteer Coordinator and Visitor Services to recruit, train and supervise a corps of excellent and committed volunteers, and supervise interns and seasonal staff to assist in organizing and provide staffing to programs and events.
• Assists in project budget development and management; timelines for special events and programs; monitor progress of event and program registration, sales, and revenue goals; works with supervisor to adjust plans and strategy as necessary to meet Garden mission and goals.
• Manages business relationships for cost efficiencies and in-kind donations for goods and services.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned.
• Interns, seasonal staff and volunteers.
Skills and Abilities Required
• Knowledge of industry standards, principles, trends and practices of event management including but not limited to project management, staging an event, risk management, site procurement, communications and consumer/vendor relations.
• Knowledge of community resources, volunteer, funding, and development resources; demonstrated ability to gain event sponsorships.
• Ability to execute a diverse range of new and original event and programing ideas for diverse audiences.
• Knowledge of database management, graphic design and basic computer skills in Word, Excel, Access and Publisher.
• Knowledge of legal agreements and binding contracts.
• Skill in planning and coordinating large scale events; skill in public relations.
• Demonstrated ability to reach financial goals in event execution.
• Excellent customer service, verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to think strategically, resourcefully, and be a skilled problem-solver.
• Proven ability to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
• Ability to be self-directed, yet excel in a team environment and ability to build and maintain positive internal and external relationships.
• Skill in operating basic audiovisual, sound, and lighting equipment.
• Must have the flexibility and willingness to work on occasional evenings and weekends when required.
The employee will work in both an office and botanical gardens environment. Some locations visited during the course of executing job duties may not be wheelchair accessible; some time may be spent outside in various weather conditions.
• Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
• Must be able to bend, stoop and climb stairs.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on occasions.
• Must be able to walk from office building to Garden and Conservatory facility.
This full time, non-exempt position is eligible for health, dental, life insurance, vision, long-term disability, voluntary life, accident coverage, 403(b), paid time off, and paid holidays.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelors’ degree in Special Event Planning, Marketing or related field preferred.
• Requires minimum of two years of event-related experience.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements
• Excellent word processing skills; must have expert-level skills with MS Office, especially Excel.
• Experience in use of standard office equipment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid Oklahoma Driver’s License.
Additional Job Requirements
Clearance of background check.
Please email resume to Careers@myriadgardens.org. You will be contacted only if considered for an initial phone or in-person interview.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)