Myriad Botanical Garden is a 15- acre botanical garden and park in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City. It is home to the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, a 10,000 sq. foot tropical plant conservatory, and Oklahoma City landmark. The Gardens underwent a $43 million redesign to include new gardens, activity areas and facilities that include: a Children’s Garden, interactive water features, a Great Lawn and Band shell, restaurant, seasonal ice rink, ponds, dog park, and new classroom facilities.
The redesign of the Myriad Botanical Gardens is part of a larger, long-term comprehensive and innovative urban renewal and quality of life improvement effort for the entire City that has garnered national awards and attention for its highly successful results.
Position reports to the Grounds & Garden Manager and is responsible for maintaining a section of the 15 acre gardens by performing garden maintenance tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible performing garden maintenance tasks such as installing plants, proper pruning, weeding, watering, mulching, and maintaining plant health with correct soil fertility and inspection for insect and disease and conducting the appropriate treatment (i.e. fertilizers/pesticides).
• Must have a keen eye for garden detail.
• Will work with irrigator to help make small repairs and schedule appropriate water times.
• Must be able to use power tools and equipment such as weed eaters, mowers, blowers, and sprayers.
• Must be able to assume responsibility for following all procedures and guidelines related to safety, safe equipment operations, and equipment maintenance tasks.
• Observe and remember details, establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
• Follow specified procedures in performing single or multi-task assignments, and may work as a member of a crew with other staff or volunteers or work individually. Daily assignments are received verbally and/or in writing from the supervisor.
• Gardeners should have a friendly, polite, service oriented demeanor and interact with the public when appropriate. This position requires working outdoors in inclement weather.
Skills and Abilities Required
• Skill in using various types of tools.
• Skill in following procedures used to repair or replace various items.
• Ability to perform preventive maintenance repairs.
• Ability to use work aids and hand/power tools.
• Ability to work with others.
• Ability to follow safety procedures, rules, and regulations.
• Ability to make independent decisions.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Additional Job Requirements
Clearance of background check.
• Outside; continually exposed to heat, cold, humidity, dust, etc.
• Exposed to plant and tree pollens, bee or wasp stings, poison oak, ivy, or sumac and/or other allergy causing agents.
• Subject to working on or around slippery surfaces such as wet sidewalks, mud and oil.
• Exposed to hazards due to lifting, cleaning, and using tools and/or equipment.
• Will work near moving objects such as traffic and equipment.
• Exposed to toxins and chemical irritants such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, etc.
• Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to bend, twist, or reach.
• Vision and hearing either corrected or non-corrected to perform daily tasks and use equipment in a safe and secure manner.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
This full time, non-exempt position is eligible for health, dental, life insurance, vision, long-term disability, voluntary life, accident coverage, 403(b), paid time off, and paid holidays.
Education and/or Experience
• Horticulture background preferred.
• General knowledge of health and safety requirements as it relates to gardening tasks and equipment.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements
• General word processing skills.
• Experience in use of standard office equipment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid Oklahoma Driver’s License.
Please email resume to Careers@myriadgardens.org. You will be contacted only if considered for an initial phone or in-person interview.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)