The Director of Public Events is a full-time, exempt position t reporting to the Executive Director. This position focuses on planning and executing a wide variety of free and fee-based special events and programs to drive year-around attendance to help make the Gardens a vibrant and fun enjoyable community site. Festivals and events include highly engaging and diverse mix of recreational, seasonal, cultural and market/vendor activities for all in our community.
We seek an individual with a passion for building community through quality creative programming in an urban green space.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Plan and direct a year-around schedule of special events and programs that will appeal to diverse audiences of all ages, in alignment with the Gardens’ mission to grow into a dynamic downtown and state destination. Such events include festivals, family events, concerts and other music events and performing arts, fitness and wellness programs and other types of events and programs.
• Keep up with trends and diverse opportunities for public park/green space event programming.
• Plan and direct a mix of seasonal events and programs to generate earned revenue to meet Garden budget goals and drive increased attendance and membership.
• Secure and coordinate all appropriate permits, licensing and other necessary local municipal approvals prior to event occurrence; manage material and signage needed for events.
• Meet with presenters and vendors to coordinate program execution; prepare contract agreements and coordinate all elements necessary to produce quality programs and events.
• Collaborate with the Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, train and schedule volunteers. Also, supervise interns and other seasonal staff to assist planning, preparing for and executing events.
• Collaborate and work closely with Facilities department on festival and event set up, trash, restroom, security and other facilities related set up, execution and tear down needs.
• Create and manage overall department budget and individual project budgets and timelines for special events and programs; monitor progress of event and program registration, sales, and revenue goals; work with Executive Director to adjust plans and strategy as necessary to meet Garden mission and goals.
• Manage business relationships for securing cost efficiencies and in-kind donations for goods and services.
• Create and manage event evaluation program to get external and internal feedback on all events for a continuous improvement program with festivals and events.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned.
• Supervise two full-time Event Coordinators and volunteers and/or seasonal staff helping with events.
Skills and Abilities Required
• Experience with planning and executing public events demonstrating knowledge of trends and practices of quality event management including but not limited to project management, staging an event, risk management, event contracts with performers or other vendors.
• Desire and enthusiasm to keep ahead of trends and best practices in event programming at public spaces, museums and parks and botanical gardens.
• Ability to execute a wide range of creative event and programing ideas for diverse audiences.
• Skill in planning and coordinating larger-sized, multi-day events.
• Demonstrated ability to reach financial goals in event planning and execution.
• Excellent customer service, verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to think strategically, resourcefully, and be a skilled problem-solver.
• Proven ability to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
• Ability to be self-directed, yet excel in a team environment and ability to build and maintain positive internal and external relationships.
• Must have the flexibility and willingness to work on evenings and weekends when required.
• The Director of Public Events serves as ambassador at large for Myriad Gardens Foundation, and must demonstrate professional excellence and perform to the Gardens’ standards of quality at all times.
The employee will work in both an office setting and outside in various weather conditions. Some locations visited during the course of executing job duties may not be wheelchair accessible.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods as well as walk in indoor and outdoor areas during events throughout the year.
• Must be able to bend, stoop and lift on occasions.
• Must be able to climb stairs
This full time exempt position is eligible for health, dental, life insurance, vision, long-term disability, voluntary life, accident coverage, 401(k), paid time off, and paid holidays. Competitive salary.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelors’ degree
• Requires a minimum of three to five years of relevant experience.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements
• Excellent word processing skills; must have skills with MS Office, especially Excel and Power Point.
• Experience in use of standard office equipment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid Oklahoma Driver’s License.
Additional Job Requirements
• Clearance of background check.
Please email resume with a cover letter directed to: Maureen Heffernan, Executive Director, Myriad Botanical Garden, 301 W. Reno Ave., OKC, OK 73102. Resume and cover letter can be sent to: Careers@myriadgardens.org by February 1, 2019. You will be contacted only if considered for an initial phone or in-person interview.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)