Myriad Gardens Foundation
Oklahoma City, OK
Position Description: Chief Operating Officer
Myriad Gardens Foundation is seeking an experienced and energetic person to join our leadership team to work closely with the CEO/President to manage the daily operations of Myriad Gardens.
About Myriad Gardens
Myriad Botanical Gardens is located in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City. The Gardens are one of Oklahoma City’s most beautiful and vibrant gardens and urban green spaces offering visitors a 15-acre natural escape. The outdoor spaces include ornamental gardens, a children’s garden and playground, Great Lawn, lake, an off-leash dog park, water features including splash fountains for children, winter ice skating rink and café. The Gardens are home to the iconic Crystal Bridge Tropical Plant Conservatory which features a collection of thousands of tropical and desert plants.
The Gardens also educational horticultural programs youth, adults and schools groups along with public events including festivals, concerts, seasonal celebrations and more for the community to engage with the Gardens year-round.
In 2015, Myriad Botanical Gardens was the recipient of the Urban Land Institute’s International Open Space Award for best new urban green space in the United States and the Charles Schusterman Award for Nonprofit Management Excellence.
Chief Operating Officer Position
The Chief Operating Officer will play a critical role in overseeing daily management of Myriad Gardens operations. The position will provide leadership to achieve overall organization’s goals and coordinate activities within all departments, projects and initiatives. The department areas include: Public Events and Rentals, Marketing and Communications, Facilities, Horticulture and Grounds, and Education.
• Excellent communication, organizational, diplomatic and listening skills.
• Capable of developing and implementing clear goals, systems and priorities.
• Passion and high energy for consistently maintaining a well-organized, clean, safe and beautiful public green space to improve the quality of life in downtown Oklahoma.
• Enthusiasm for learning about new ideas, best practices, creative programming, maintenance and other organizational improvements for public park management.
• Big picture and detail-oriented
• Ability to work with a range of people representing various backgrounds, levels of training and career stages.
• Able to multitask, plan, and execute short to long-term projects and deadlines.
• Ability to analyze and identify core problems to correct and make and implement decisions efficiently
• Ability to thrive in a daily environment where unanticipated problems arise that require immediate attention.
• Must be able to work both indoors and outdoors in varying weather conditions.
Competitive Salary and Benefit Package
• Supports the CEO to ensure quality day to-day management of Myriad Gardens.
• Serves as an advisor to the CEO/President and as a role model /mentor to other staff.
• Contributes to creating and maintaining a positive organization culture that values integrity, strong work ethic, problem solving, excellence, resilience, creativity and community inclusion, both internally and externally.
• Helps establish and execute organizational priorities and procedures and protocols for park start-up operations and on-going, day-to-day management of all operations.
• Works with CEO, CFO and senior managers to facilitate planning and strategy for short and long-term initiatives to continually enhance the park as a visitor destination that is financially sustainable.
• Supervises all phases of daily management, including concession operations, safety, sanitation, equipment, utilities, enforcement of rules and service to the public.
• Facilitates intra-department communications and coordination so all departments share information effectively and support one another as needed.
• Monitors resource and personnel allocation to ensure park is appropriately staffed and resourced.
• Maintains records, prepares reports, and composes correspondence as needed.
• Participates in HR decisions regarding department Directors, approves salaries and participates in key hires and terminations. Identify training needs and execute training programs as needed.
• Conducts or participates in annual reviews for department directors
• Works closely with Park Management Company CEO and CFO to monitor and manage annual operating budget and capital project budgets and other special initiatives.
• Represents Myriad Gardens at public forums, media, park tours and other events or gatherings.
Supervision of Direct Reports:
Director of Education
Director of Public Events and Rentals
Director of Facilities
Director of Marketing and Communications
Director of Horticulture and Grounds
A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years management experience preferably at a park, botanical garden, cultural institution or other visitor destination.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted only if considered for an initial phone or in-person interview.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)