Seasonal Horticulturists’ Assistant
The Seasonal Horticulturists’ Assistant is responsible for a broad range of garden maintenance activities in support of the Horticultural Team for the continued development and refinement of the gardens at Mt. Cuba Center.
Gardens Care & Maintenance
- Assist the Horticulturist Team in maintaining the health and care of living plant collections by performing a variety of horticultural tasks including, but not limited to, site/soil preparation, planting, transplanting, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilizing, herbicide/pesticide application, and pruning
- Maintain well-groomed and safe garden pathways and assigned areas that are free from debris, including snow/ice removal as needed
- Assist other divisions with horticultural projects and activities
Support Guest and Organizational Programs
- Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession
- Lead, guide, and train employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work
- Carry out other such duties as may be assigned or requested. Contribute to MCC activities as required. Actively participate as a member of Mt. Cuba Center’s community.
- At least 1 year of hands on ornamental and/or naturalistic gardening experience
- Good working knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural characteristics, disease recognition and control
- Possess a strong interest in native plants, shrubs, and trees, and naturalistic gardening
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of tools, vehicles, and small and large-engine equipment
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
- Requires moderate physical work: frequent standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, reaching, carrying, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds
Please note this is a seasonal, part time position working no more than 1,000 hours between the months of August - December 2021. Candidates should be able to accommodate an average of 16-24 hours per week (Monday - Friday during the day).