The Horticulturist is responsible for developing and maintaining creative planting displays of the living collection within the gardens.This position supports the visitor experience and upholds Mt. Cuba Center standards for plant care.
Horticultural Planning & Documentation Assistance
- Assist with horticultural design development as needed in support of the Horticulturist team
- Maintain plant record documentation on behalf of the Horticulturist team as needed and adhere to the Living Collection Policy
Gardens Care & Maintenance
- Monitor and maintain the health and care of living plant collections by performing a variety of horticultural maintenance activities including, but not limited to, site/soil preparation, planting, transplanting, mulching, weeding, watering, implementing Plant Health Care practices, monitoring for pests and disease, herbicide/pesticide application as appropriate, and pruning
- Maintain well-groomed and safe garden pathways and assigned areas that are free from debris, including snow/ice removal as needed
Support Guest and Organizational Programs related to Horticulture
- Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession
- Lead, guide, and train employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work
- Carry out other such duties as may be assigned or requested. Contribute to MCC activities as required. Actively participate as a member of Mt. Cuba Center’s community
- Associate’s degree in horticulture or plant science from an accredited college, university, or recognized certificate in horticulture and 5 years’ experience working in a public garden setting or equivalent experience
- Broad knowledge of native herbaceous and woody plant identification, growth and cultural characteristics, pest/disease recognition and control
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, small and large engine equipment and vehicles
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
- Requires moderate physical work; frequent standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, reaching, carrying, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds
Please note this is a full time, non-exempt position.
Mt. Cuba Center is committed to inclusivity and we encourage qualified candidates from all cultures and communities to apply.
Please include a resume, letter of interest and contact information including a current email address for three professional employment references.
Having trouble applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.