The Greenhouse Assistant reports to the Greenhouse & Nursery Manager and is responsible for the care and maintenance of a diverse collection of native plants in our greenhouse and outdoor nursery growing areas. Emphasis is placed on data collection and organization of plant records in all phases of production. The Greenhouse Assistant works efficiently on detailed oriented tasks to ensure plants are maintained to the high standard of Mt. Cuba Center.
- Assist propagation and production efforts for all greenhouse plants and crops through plant care and maintenance activities, including watering, general plant maintenance, weeding, fertilizing, mixing soil, staking, pruning, and potting.
- Manage greenhouse ventilation, temperature, and humidity systems controls effectively.
- Support management team by assisting with data entry and inventory
- Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession
- Lead, guide, and train employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work
- Strong interest in greenhouse maintenance or related field
- Ability to learn about culture and production of a wide range of crops
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of tools
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Ability to effectively communicate with the staff and the public
- Ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
- Physical requirements include the ability to stand for extended periods of time, ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and the ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions
Please note rotational weekend and holiday work is required. Hours may flex up or down depending on the organization's needs. Interested candidates must have the ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays, and special events as needed.
Mt. Cuba Center is committed to inclusivity and encourages qualified candidates from all cultures and communities to apply.
Apply online at https://mtcubacenter.org/employment/. Please provide your resume, letter of interest, and contact information for at least three professional employment references including a current email address for each.