The Greenhouse Assistant is responsible for the care and maintenance of a diverse collection of native plants in our greenhouse and outdoor nursery growing areas. Emphasis is placed on data collection and organization of plant records in all phases of production. The Greenhouse Assistant works efficiently on detailed oriented tasks to ensure plants are maintained to the high standard of Mt. Cuba Center.
Please note this is a part time, non exempt position working under 1,000 hours per year.
Assistance for Greenhouse Activities
- Assist propagation and production efforts for all greenhouse plants and crops through plant care and maintenance activities, including watering, general plant maintenance, weeding, fertilizing, mixing soil, staking, pruning, and potting. Effective management of greenhouse ventilation, temperature, and humidity systems controls
- Support management team by assisting with data entry and inventory
Support Guest and Organizational Programs related to the Greenhouse
- Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession
- Lead, guide, and train employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work
- Carry out other such duties as may be assigned or requested. Contribute to MCC activities as required. Actively participate as a member of Mt. Cuba Center’s community.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Strong interest in greenhouse maintenance or related field
- Ability to learn about culture and production of a wide range of crops
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of tools
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
Interested candidates should apply directly via: https://mtcubacenter.org/employment/