Provide a knowledgeable and welcoming environment to Arboretum visitors and callers. Answer visitor inquiries, distribute membership credentials, and perform retail transactions. Process mail and assist other Visitor Services areas with coverage as needed.
• Provide friendly and welcoming customer service at the Visitor Center Information Desk. Accurately communicate Arboretum activities and policies. Ensure that visitor and member needs are met in a timely and friendly manner, including following-up and resolving customer service issues.
• Process retail transactions using point-of-sale, e-commerce, and registration software, including ticket sales, membership sales, stroller rentals, publications, tuition, and reimbursements.
• Ensure that the Visitor Center is opened and closed punctually and that the information desk is kept well-stocked and neat. Assist membership desk with stocking and organizing materials as needed.
• Maintain excellent communication with both internal and external parties (supervisors, coworkers, volunteers, members, vendors, etc). Provide timely information to other Arboretum staff regarding customer interactions, comments, and suggestions. Attend regular training and professional development sessions.
• Work Gatehouse shifts as needed. Support Membership department by assisting with membership sales, customer service, and special member activities.
• Provide additional assistance with visitor surveys, receptionist duties, mail distribution, data entry, and various other administrative needs in the Visitor Services department.
• Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma required. 2+ years in customer service required. Must be reliable and service oriented. Knowledge of trees, horticulture, or natural history a plus. Must be energized by public contact and possess an outgoing, friendly, courteous, and enthusiastic personality. Must present professional image to the public by following the Arboretum/Visitor Services dress code. Must have the ability to use a computer, point-of-sale system, multi-line phone, charge card terminal, and calculator. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and experience with Raiser’s Edge, Gmail and other Google applications beneficial.
Customer service oriented individual who is able to relate effectively with people of various backgrounds and ages. Ability to be self-motivated, take charge/empowered personality. Ability to communicate information on programs, collections, and facilities of The Morton Arboretum.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity: limited lifting and carrying (up to 40 lbs.), with prolonged periods of standing and walking.
• Work Environment: Visitor Center, office environment, Arboretum grounds. Work is performed in a combined indoors (85%) and outdoors (15%), depending on season, program and attendance needs.
• Equipment: General office equipment, charge card terminal; VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) telephone, two-way radio, postage meter, and Point-of-sale, registration, e-commerce systems.
• Schedule: Year-round position with hours and activity levels varying seasonally. Must be available for an 8-hour shift between the hours of 7:30 am and 9:30 pm. Holiday and weekend work is required. May be asked to shorten or lengthen hours, based on organization needs.
To apply, visit http://mortonarb.org/employment.
The Morton Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse workforce. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO