Maintain assigned garden(s) or collection(s) in excellent horticultural and aesthetic condition.
• Communicate with supervisor to understand and achieve individual garden and collection objectives.
• Perform all functions involved in the care of a specified area, including:
o planting, dividing and transplanting trees, shrubs, groundcovers, and herbaceous plants
o weeding, mulching and watering
o cultivating and fertilizing
o pruning and minor arboricultural work, removing dead and diseased wood, and dead plants
o hedge trimming
o edging, removing unwanted sod, brush cutting
o removing litter, twigs, leaves and other material from assigned and adjacent areas
o safe and proper use of pesticides and pesticide mixing/storage facility
o invasive species surveillance and control
o monitoring and controlling threatening insects, diseases, and nuisance animals
o record keeping and installing and maintaining proper plant labels
• Assist in selecting, designing, and determining site location for plants in gardens and collections.
• Learn, understand, and demonstrate the ability to safely operate and maintain all motorized equipment according to the operator’s manuals. Responsible for proper operation and maintenance of tools and equipment used in job.
• Work with, oversee, and advise supervisor as to the quality of the performance of assigned seasonal employees, contractors, or volunteers.
• Notify appropriate supervisor of necessary repairs to garden features, irrigation systems, equipment, or hardscapes in an assigned garden or collection.
• Prepare and maintain assigned garden or collection for special events, exhibitions, and other large-scale grounds projects.
• Participate in snow removal operations, including snow shoveling, snow blowing, and application of deicing materials.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Associate degree in horticulture or related field required. 9+ months of relevant work experience required. In lieu of this, 3+ years of demonstrated practical work experience in horticulture or related field required. Strong interest in outdoor plants and their proper culture and care. Must be able to identify major plant genera, know growth characteristics, and horticultural requirements of plants. Must be able to safely operate essential equipment and tools, and have a basic understanding of them, including the care and maintenance. Must become certified and maintain certification in First Aid and CPR (classes provided). Must be able to obtain and maintain an Illinois Pesticide Operator's License. Must be able to obtain a Class B or C Commercial Driver’s License, which is subject to insurability and an annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report. Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and experience with Gmail and other Google applications beneficial.
Success Factors: Ability to perform physically demanding work outside in all weather conditions. Willingness to work alone or as part of a team. Effective time management skills. Ability to guide and give direction to assigned seasonal employees, contractors, and volunteers. Customer service
oriented with the ability to relate effectively with persons internal and external to the Arboretum.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Physical Demands: Requires significant physical activity: limited lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted) carrying (up to 30-50 lbs.), bending, climbing (up to 15 ft.), walking over varied terrain. Sense of vision and hearing in the normal range with or without correction. Sense of touch and the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
• Work Environment: Work is performed primarily outdoors in all weather conditions. Exposure to loud, prolonged noises and/or vibrations.
• Equipment: Horticulture hand and power tools, landscape equipment, pesticides and related application equipment, irrigation controller, snow removal equipment, chipper, dump truck, front-end loader, mower, tractor, wheel barrow, van, utility vehicle, aerial bucket truck, bicycle, two-way radio, general office equipment.
• Schedule: Work requires regular evening, weekend, and occasional holiday hours depending on the season.
To apply, visit http://mortonarb.org/employment.
The Morton Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse workforce. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO