The Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania - located in the beautiful Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia - is one of America’s oldest arboretums. We are seeking an experienced, full-time propagator with a passion for plants and public horticulture to join our team. This position propagates a wide variety of woody and herbaceous plants for research and public display in our 10,000 square foot greenhouse complex and ½ acre nursery.
Propagate and grow plants for collections, display, and distribution. Maintain detailed and accurate records, participate in research projects as needed. Source plant material and achieve production targets to meet needs of horticultural and research staff. Supervise part time staff, interns, and volunteers.
Other duties include:
• Implementation of integrated pest management program for nursery.
• Coordinating procurement and distribution of plants and for Arboretum staff and member dividend program.
• Operation of greenhouse physical plant and historic fernery.
• Teaching/lecturing for the Morris Arboretum/Penn as well as other amateur and professional audiences where appropriate.
• Occasional weekend work required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or related field required and a minimum of three years’ experience in propagation and nursery production, experience at a public garden greatly desired, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Teaching and writing skills highly desirable.
Experience operating machinery preferred, and a valid driver's license required. Must be able to lift 50 pounds, work outside in all weather, walk, stand, and stoop for long periods. Must be able to obtain a Pennsylvania Pesticide applicators' license expected upon employment. Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent professional development, health and retirement benefits through the University of Pennsylvania.
For information about the Morris Arboretum, go to www.morrisarboretum.org
Use the link below for the complete job description and to apply.