The Morris Arboretum is looking for industrious, part-time seasonal gardeners to assist with a broad range of garden maintenance tasks. This position frequently requires the expenditure of physical labor and the use of motorized equipment and other tools. Duties/Responsibilities include trimming, mowing, weeding, watering, planting, pruning, and weed control. This is a 20-29 hour per week position that operates within the standard workweek (Monday through Friday, 7:30AM to 4:00PM). The exact schedule can be somewhat flexible. Seasonal Gardeners are not eligible for Penn benefits, except to the extent required by applicable law.
The Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania is a historic public garden and educational institution. It promotes an understanding of the relationship between plants, people and place through programs that integrate science, art and the humanities.
Date Available: Beginning March 2019
• Safely and effectively operate small engine equipment such as string-trimmers, backpack blowers, and push mowers
• Identify and properly control weeds
• Learn and use proper techniques for planting, mulching, edging, and turf care
• Take part in watering plants and containers on a daily or as needed basis
• Demonstrate attention to detail with all garden tasks that enhance the Arboretum’s public image
• A valid driver's license is required
• Be able and willing to follow directions and work independently as well as part of a team
• Be able and willing to communicate with Arboretum visitors
• Be able and willing to work in all weather conditions
• Be able and willing to lift at least 50 lbs. and perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather
• Plant identification skills helpful
Please complete the University of Pennsylvania’s Application for Temporary Employment found here: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/perelmanquad/assets/office/student-employment.pdf and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.