Moore Farms Botanical Garden (MFBG) has creative control and maintenance responsibilities for over 36 acres of green space in downtown Lake City. The Lake City Assistant Horticulturist will support the efforts of the Lake City Horticulture Supervisor by maintaining said urban landscapes. “Maintenance,” can include, but is not limited to, pruning shrubs and trees, weeding, watering, plant installation, herbicide application, irrigation repair, and plant fertilization.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• Willingness and ability to perform physical work outside in all weather conditions
• Ability to carry, climb, stoop, reach, dig and load and unload various objects
• Ability to operate various power tools, including but not limited to, chainsaws, blowers, mowers, weed eaters, tillers, trucks, as well as a variety of gardening hand tools
• Must be willing to work independently or as part of a team in a variety of weather
• Summers are hot and humid with exposure to biting insects and irritant plants i.e. poison ivy
• This full-time position consists almost entirely of outdoor work, barring extreme temperatures or weather events
• Current valid South Carolina Pesticide License or ability to obtain one within 90 days of start
• Must possess a valid South Carolina Driver’s License or ability to obtain one upon employment
• Clean driving record
• Ability to develop and uphold a seasonal plant care regimen for assigned areas
• Strong communication skills
• Applicant must be motivated, trustworthy, and responsible
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
About the Garden:
Moore Farms Botanical Garden is a nonprofit organization set on over 800 acres near Lake City, South Carolina. The garden is cultivated on 65 acres and is a dynamic mix of formal, naturalistic, and agrarian landscapes. Garden areas include a formal garden, vegetable garden, green roof, pond gardens, formal shrub borders, and a greenhouse and nursery. Other land use includes agriculture, forestry and wildlife habitat.
MFBG also is the custodian of several prominent green spaces in the urban shopping and dining district, and provides year-round horticultural care – a unique and beautiful partnership between city and nearby garden institution.
We are currently in a period of growth in both our horticultural displays and programming. This is a very exciting time to be part of the MFBG team. Visit our website at moorefarmsbg.org to learn more.
• Maintain the landscapes primarily at the Continuum college and Ragsdale Old Building luxury RV park, in addition to other smaller properties in the MFBG “urban campus”
• Perform general gardening duties such as pruning, planting, weeding and mulching as necessary
• Be responsible for one’s own task scheduling and planning in areas of responsibility
• Monitor and inspect plants for health deficiencies and problems, consult with the Lake City Horticulture Supervisor to ascertain proper corrective measures and upon agreement, apply appropriate pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers
• Perform other duties as assigned
Associate’s Degree or higher in horticulture or related field, or equivalent experience (2+ years).
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Lake City Horticulture Supervisor Bradley Roberts at email@example.com.