This position is responsible for the selection and addition of plant species into the Garden’s Living Collections for assigned areas to support plant conservation and build research capacity. The living collection includes herbaceous perennials, bulbs, shrubs, trees, and vines, and a critical component of this position is the expansion of assigned collections according to MBG policies and guidelines. Design, installation, and maintenance of landscapes and individual plants must be conducted to the highest standards. Researching and recording cultivation information are essential, as is using this information to modify the growing environment as necessary to ensure plant health. Accurate and detailed record-keeping and plant labeling are critical. Coordinating teams of horticulturists in group projects and mentoring other horticulture staff are essential responsibilities.
- Works with Supervisor to target and develop plant collections and landscapes according to Garden policy and area descriptions
- Utilizes Index Seminum, as well as, the Garden’s Targeting Database to build collections
- During species selection, conducts research entering information on plant habit and cultivation into the Targeting Database
- Observes plants when growing in the Garden, collects and enters cultivation information into the Living Collections Management System, and modifies growing environments based on observations to support optimum plant health
- Utilizes internal data sources such as the Living Collections Management System, Targeting database, and external data sources to aid in individual plant cultivation and landscape maintenance decisions
- Performs plant record-keeping at the highest level ensuring that all plants in the collection have accession labels at all times and all maintenance information regarding the collection (i.e. new plantings, divisions, moves, deaths, etc.) is up to date at all times
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum of (5-7) years hands-on, relevant horticulture work experience required
- Exceptional knowledge of plant material and landscape maintenance techniques with an emphasis on herbaceous perennials, bulbs, shrubs, trees, and vines
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Ability to possess and maintain valid driver’s and pesticide applicator’s licenses.
APPLY Here: https://bit.ly/3g9H8gk