Memphis Botanic Garden is a 96-acre garden in the heart of urban Memphis featuring 31 display gardens and a wide array of educational programming and community events. The Garden is currently seeking applicants for the position of a horticulturist to oversee our Urban Home Garden that includes edible landscaping demonstration beds, espaliered fruit trees, bee hives and a chicken coop.
The successful applicant should be a self-starter who would be comfortable working and leading other staff and volunteers. They would be comfortable working in immediate proximity to general public answering questions regarding the horticulture collection. They should have an eye for garden design and a passion for sharing the love of gardening with others.
• Developing a vision of horticultural excellence for our Urban Home Garden.
• Overseeing the day-to-day responsibilities of managing the display design and maintenance needs. This covers a wide range of tasks important to the preservation, protection and transplanting of existing plants; including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation and pesticide application.
• Assuring that our new online Living Collections catalog remains current at all times.
• Assisting with a variety of Horticulture Department projects such as new installations, seasonal Plant Sales and other events and educational programming.
• B.S. from accredited institution in Horticulture or related discipline; OR
• A.A. in Horticulture or related field with at least two years related experience and/or training in a commercial nursery, greenhouse or landscaping environment; OR
• Equivalent experience
• Minimum 3 years of hands-on, relevant horticultural work experience. Experience in beekeeping and/or raising backyard chickens would be an asset.
Interested Applicants can email resume or direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org