Under direct supervision by the Director of Glasshouse Collections, the Greenhouse Horticulturist will be responsible for managing their assigned greenhouse collection areas as well as working with other Horticulture staff to install and maintain changing exhibitions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Observe and maintain plants on a frequent and appropriate basis. Be proactive in taking additional corrective measures as needed and directed.
• Apply water appropriately (for species, soils, exposure, weather) and as needed (not just when scheduled).
• Identify and utilize plant nutrition appropriately (for species, medium, right strength and formulation).
• Proactively detect pests and diseases and troubleshoot concerns using IPM strategies.
• Manage plant hygiene by ensuring the following: weeds are eliminated on sight or with herbicide, dead plants are removed promptly, plants are groomed, and tools are sanitized to limit pathogen transfer.
• Pot plants correctly through the utilization of fresh medium and the correct mix, and pot/mount for species.
• Assist with the proper and timely labeling of plants and maintenance of records.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or related field preferred
• Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a greenhouse/nursery production required
• Tropical horticulture and experience with epiphytes is strongly desired
• Advanced understanding of correct horticultural practices and experience in all aspects of routine greenhouse maintenance
• Solid plant identification knowledge is preferred
• Must hold a valid Florida Pesticide Applicators License, or be able to obtain one within 6 months of employment.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org