Oversee and manage the volunteer program. Responsible for communicating any pertinent information to volunteers, monitoring compliance with garden policies and procedures, scheduling volunteers for programming events, hands-on gardening, and guides. Schedule and staff private tours.
Responsible for coordinating volunteers and scheduling private tours. Part-time position, schedule is two days a week and two to three weekend days per month for a total of 18 hours per week. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Lurie Garden in Millennium Park is a 3.5 acre urban oasis in downtown Chicago showcasing a harmonious blend of symbolism, landscape design, and ecological sensitivity. The garden was designed by Gustafson Guthrie Nichol (GGN) with perennial plant design leadership from Piet Oudolf. Its design pays homage to Chicago’s transformation from flat marshland to innovative green city. Lurie Garden offers free education programs, tours, membership events, and other activities for adults, children, and families throughout the year.
• Manage volunteer communication
• Monitor volunteer compliance with policies and procedures
• Schedule volunteers for the season
• Document feedback, suggestions, and happenings and report them to staff
• Provide training for new volunteers
• Provide updated training material to all volunteers
• Identify and address potential problems within the volunteer corps as they occur
• Assist in contributing information and numbers to create departmental reports
• Sign up volunteers for trainings and special events
• Process internal volunteer requests
• Assist with volunteer recruitment
• Attend and plan volunteer enrichment activities
• Support the volunteer recognition program
• Participate in development of new plans for the volunteer program
• Prepare training materials
• Contribute to volunteer newsletter and other volunteer mailings
• Other duties as assigned
Ability to work two to three weekend days a month during growing season on a rotating schedule; Ability to work evenings and holidays on occasion.
• Working knowledge of MS World Office Suite and Volgistics
• Ability to respond quickly to changes in volunteer needs
• Ability to organize tasks and time to assure timely completion of projects
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written- comfortable with public speaking & individually coaching and/or correcting volunteers
•Ability to work closely with co-workers in a team environment
•Bachelor’s degree preferred
*Able to work at least two Sundays per month from May through September. Will be outdoors during tours in sometimes sunny and warm conditions.
Frequently – Sitting, walking, standing, reaching
Occasionally – lifting up to 40 pounds
Please email your resume to email@example.com to attention Laura Ekasetya. Please describe in a cover letter why you are interested in this position at Lurie Garden and include two references.
Millennium Park Foundation is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.