Lockerly Arboretum is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic nature lover with a passion for outdoor education. The right candidate will possess a wide knowledge of botany, ecology and geology and willingness to continuously learn and develop education opportunities for Lockerly Arboretum.
• Strong and comprehensive knowledge of Georgia horticulture, botany and ecology.
• Experience aligning programming with grade level standards.
• Experience managing part time education staff.
• Self-directed, quick learner, responsible, dedicated, uses good judgement, detail oriented, positive attitude and a good team-player.
• Excellent interpersonal skills when interacting with a diverse public including age range and disabilities.
• Able to work occasional evenings and weekends.
• Develop, manage and implement the Education Programs of Lockerly Arboretum including Rose Hill and the Oliver Worley Outdoor Education Center. This will include scheduling, preparing and implementing school field trips, workshops, and programs for adult and youth audiences with a wide variety of abilities, knowledge and ethnic backgrounds.
• Hire, manage and train seasonal staff who direct or assist with program implementation.
• Develop feedback and evaluation tools to measure success.
• Set annual goals for students to be served and tracks number of students served, where students are enrolled, and any revenue associated with those programs.
• Serves as Lockerly’s Education Liaison to public and private schools, scout troops, civic, business, and church groups, local colleges, and Home School programs.
• Maintains education facilities and equipment.
• Uses best practices for safety when working with staff and students.
• Maintains certification/licensing required for programs and activities (these may include Arborist and CPR, for example).
BS degree in Outdoor Education, Environmental Science, or related field. 3-5 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily outside, in all kinds of weather and potentially extreme heat including work in the Education Greenhouse. The employee is frequently required to stand, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Submit college transcript, cover letter, resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org