The Lake View Cemetery is seeking a Horticulturist to help build, lead, and grow a thriving garden cemetery and arboretum.
Cleveland, Ohio is home to a large collection of cultural and historic assets, among them The Lake View Cemetery, a horticultural significant cemetery spread over 285-acres of Cleveland’s urban landscape. Founded in 1869, Lake View Cemetery attracts 400,000 visitors every year to enjoy the grounds and architectural wonders. As a working cemetery, Lake View is open to people of all races, religions, and walks of life.
The Lake View Cemetery also operates as one of the country’s most unique historical landscape garden cemeteries, featuring hundreds of varieties of trees and shrubs, lush natural areas, and specimen trees dating back to Moses Cleveland’s arrival on the banks of the Cuyahoga River more than 200 years ago. Visitors enjoy the grounds throughout the seasons, beginning with the spring bloom of Daffodil Hill.
The Lake View Cemetery Association oversees the operation and maintenance of Lake View Cemetery and generates earned revenue to support those operations through sales of memorial services and burial plots. The contributed income raised by The Lake View Cemetery Foundation is critical also to maintaining and sustaining the Cemetery and its programs that are enjoyed and explored by the public free or for a small charge.
Competitive salary and excellent benefit package is offered with immediate employment opportunity.
• Directs and trains the horticulture crew in the daily implementation and maintenance of the landscape plan, including the planting and maintenance of turf, trees, shrubs, groundcover, and flowers.
• Responsible for the proper use and maintenance needs of tools, equipment and materials used by the horticulture crew.
• Meets regularly with the COO and management staff for work assignments to plan and coordinate projects, determining necessary personnel or discussion of cemetery concerns.
• Performs regular inspections throughout the cemetery to identify tree and shrub maintenance needs, weed control needs and other problems and concerns.
• Responsible for understanding the cemetery’s landscape plan and the ability to research, design and select plants to fit within that plan.
• Responsible for maintaining required knowledge of established and newly planted plants and understanding the cultural requirements to maintain their growth and cultivation.
• Assists in the preparation of budgetary recommendations; maintains supply inventories, and operational records.
• Lead horticultural tours of the cemetery grounds as needed, assist with educational programming and special events as needed.
• Coordinates appropriate outside contractual work staying within budgetary plans.
• Inventories, maps and labels trees and shrubs in the cemetery for maintenance and instructional purposes.
• Maintains computerized plant and maintenance records.
• Responsible for learning and understanding current burial practices.
• Observes good housekeeping and safe work habits, follows Cemetery policies and procedures, and performs other duties as assigned.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• In-depth knowledge of plant culture, best management practices, plant identification and design preferred.
• Ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment
• Working knowledge of a variety of computer software applications used for record keeping (i.e.: MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines
• Well-developed customer relations skills.
• Must be able to work in an ever-changing environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and juggle competing tasks and demands.
• Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
• Must have a valid Ohio drivers’ license.
• Possession of a Commercial Pesticide Applicators license or ability to obtain within 6 months from date of hire.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field with five or more years of management experience.
• Frequently works outside in varying weather conditions and exposure to various plants.
• Walking, standing, or sitting for prolonged periods of time.
• Transports materials and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
Send resumes to Marilyn Brandt at: firstname.lastname@example.org