The Knoxville Botanical Garden and Arboretum is seeking to fill a full time, year-round gardener position. Pay rate will be commensurate with experience. The Knoxville Botanical Garden and Arboretum is located on 47 acres of former Howell nurseries, featuring walking trails, display gardens, unique and historic horticulture and over two miles of distinctive stone walls and timeless structures.
• Performs in a safe and efficient manner the horticultural and other tasks required to develop, maintain and preserve the Garden’s living plant displays and facilities.
• Specific garden duties include: weeding, watering, planting, pruning, plant displays, tree and shrub removal, landscape construction, plant propagation, and turf maintenance and line trimming.
• Specific community building duties include: leads horticultural tours, volunteer engagement and management, assists with educational programs, and assists with special events.
• Assists with curatorial and plant documentation records, work reports and other records as required in the performance of assigned duties.
• Drives light trucks and tractors and operates tools and equipment such as line trimmers, lawn mowers, and rototillers as required in the performance of assigned duties.
• Ensures a clean and safe work environment at all times. Adheres to all safety rules, policies and procedures required by the KBGA and wears all required personal protective equipment.
• Performs other job-related duties assigned by the Director of Horticulture, including physical plant maintenance and preventative maintenance on tools and equipment.
• Three years or more years of work experience (full or part time) in the horticulture industry or a 4-year degree in horticulture, plant sciences or a closely related field with practical internship experience.
• Demonstrated ability in proper horticultural practices and in the equipment used to undertake these.
• Willingness to learn in proper horticultural practices and in the equipment used to undertake job requirements.
• Excitement and interest in gardening, horticulture, invasive species removal, and other relevant topics.
• A valid driver’s license.
• Willingness and ability to earn a Tennessee Commercial Applicator Certification.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to Amanda Spangler at firstname.lastname@example.org