The Knoxville Botanical Garden and Arboretum is seeking a Director of Horticulture to manage and grow its gardens and grounds. The Knoxville Botanical Garden is located on 47 acres of former Howell Nurseries, featuring walking trails, display gardens, unique and historic horticulture and over two miles of distinctive stone walls and timeless buildings, just five minutes from downtown. The Garden’s mission is to “Grow Gardens, Honor History, Cultivate Community.”
• Serves on the Garden’s senior leadership team, participating in long range planning and the design of programs, garden and facilities expansion, renovations and new construction.
• Manages all living collections, gardens, growing spaces, equipment, and infrastructure.
• Supervises a department of paid horticulture staff, seasonal interns and garden volunteers.
• Trains the horticulture staff and garden volunteers.
• Determines annual budget needs and managing the approved operating budget for the Horticulture Department.
• Coordinates the Spring Plant Sale.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
• Integrates operations of Horticulture Department into the mission and goals of the Garden as a whole.
• Spends about 80% of work hours engaged in hands-on horticulture and landscape management in the field.
• Represents the organization among relevant, like-minded organizations and events.
• Assists with the Garden’s special events, such as the Fall Festival and the Green Thumb Gala.
• Assists with writing and managing grants from public and private institutions and supports fundraising efforts.
• Assists marketing staff by providing relevant and engaging horticultural content for the website, newsletter, and other media.
• Possesses a Bachelor’s degree or higher in horticulture or a related field.
• Relevant experience leading, teaching, and motivating staff.
• A minimum of seven years of experience in the field of horticulture, garden management or landscape maintenance/management.
• Exceptional organizational, time management, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently.
• Knowledge of greenhouse plant production techniques.
• Demonstrated ability with the design and installation of inspiring botanical displays.
• Demonstrated ability with landscape maintenance equipment.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Currently holds or is able to obtain a current state pesticide applicators license.
To apply, please submit your information our website at http://knoxgarden.org/2019doh/