Join a gardening staff of eleven full-time people who garden, and help us with our grand expansion, reconstruction and our many long established gardens. The new gardens will represent multiple styles of gardens and many thousands of plants with new features such as a pavilion, daylighted streams, wetlands, a new terrace, bioswales, containers, featured specimens and more. Established gardens are venerable and revered and need loving and expert care.
• Carry out typical garden tasks such as planting, watering, weeding, pruning, deadheading, and mulching.
• Design and implement annual displays.
• Demonstrate initiative in permanent plant selection and acquisition.
• Constantly evaluate assigned area for means of improvement.
• Operate necessary equipment, such as blowers, tillers, and utility vehicles.
• Utilize garden tools and perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions.
• Regularly lift 35 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
• Bend or stoop for extended periods of time.
• Rapidly perform required tasks with accuracy.
• Work independently while being productive and making efficient use of time.
• Communicate garden knowledge through writing, making presentations, leading workshops, and contributing to plant talks.
• Monitor for and control insect and disease issues using IPM best practices.
• Always work with safety and best practices in mind.
• Continue to build and advance personal gardening knowledge.
• Willingness to interact with the public in an informal way such as answering general questions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Formal education in horticulture strongly preferred, but not required.
• One year of horticulture, gardening, or other related experience preferred.
• Other combinations of education and experience appropriate to the job will be considered.
• Advanced knowledge of plants, gardens, and gardening practices.
• Ohio Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License or the ability to obtain one within one year of hire.
• Sufficiently physically fit to perform required tasks.
• Ability to understand and follow directions.
• Positive attitude to foster a productive and welcoming environment for staff and guests.
• Ability to see and address small details.
Email cover letter, resume, and references to Willie Hofstetter, Head Gardener email@example.com