The Hospitality Manager will have primary responsibility of maintaining and modeling exemplary experiences for the Garden’s internal and external event clients. This includes but is not limited to overseeing departmental practices and policies to ensure successful execution of operations for all events at the Garden. Creates and implements strategies, new training tools and manages all event and supporting staff to achieve department goals. Manages the beverage service operations of the Garden.
• Works with Sales to accomplish customer satisfaction during Garden events to include adequate scheduling of personnel, communication of event details to Event Leads, and bar and catering coordination required during event. Communicate beverage service event details to Sales.
• Assists with the development of tools and strategies to evaluate and improve the event guest experience, including actively participating in the collection and analysis of the rental client’s data and statistics.
• Responsible for ABC licensing and compliance and the implementation of these requirements, including Responsible Vendor Training for all required staff.
• Works with the Finance Department to ensure all revenues are captured and reported accurately. Completes required daily and monthly financial tools and reports. Responsible for POS maintenance and performance.
• Conduct periodic review of bar selections to keep up with industry trends.
• Coordinates catering services to align with Garden’s excellent customer service and operational standards, including caterer on-site training in venue kitchens.
• Meet with clients requesting beverage service and train Event Coordinators to meet with clients, as required.
• Manage alcohol inventory and bar supplies needed for events. Order alcohol from distributors, purchase all mixers and bar supplies and oversee delivery and payment process for these purchases. Determine bar menu to maximize Garden profits. Distribute alcohol and supplies to appropriate venues as needed.
• Ensures the proper level of service is provided based on forecasted needs. Works with Sales to ensure proper management and staff coverage during events, methodical scheduling and planning.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities:
• Direct and supervise the On Call staff who work the frontline positions, including Event Coordinators, Bartenders, Bar Backs, and Event Leads. Responsible for interviewing, training, scheduling, and conducting performance reviews for these employees to ensure the guest experience brand is consistent.
• Ensures employees under their management are well-informed, motivated and encouraged in a manner that will provide the highest opportunity for successful performance of their individual and department job responsibilities.
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable employment laws.
Management Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Hospitality Manager will serve as the event staff’s primary point of contact for any escalated venue client concerns during the scheduled event, including after normal business hours.
• Maintains fiscally responsible processes for ensuring department and organization objectives are met within budgetary constraints.
• Actively participates in achieving organizational goals, supporting all departments as needed.
• Demonstrates leadership and integrity in their position by taking responsibility for their actions, providing a good example to other employees, keeping commitments, and following through on tasks.
• Works with both direct and indirect subordinates to assist in their growth and development in order to better serve the organization.
• Manages time effectively, delegating appropriately, and ensuring department functions can continue to be performed in their absence.
• Maintains an ongoing understanding of the organization’s policies and procedures as contained in the Employee Handbook, Safety Manual and other documents. Actively ensures all department personnel comply with the Garden’s safety rules, policies and procedures as required.
• Associates or bachelor’s degree in event management, business, hospitality or related field of study is preferred. Responsible Vendor trained.
• Minimum of three years’ experience in restaurant, hospitality, venue management or service industry required. Direct supervisory or management experience is a requirement.
• Ability to solve complex problems and independently make decisions.
• Business acumen, excellent communication, leadership, relationship building and strong interpersonal skills.
• Hands on experience with MS office and relevant software.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and other computations as part of budget planning, management, and reporting
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Success Factors: Knowledge of ABC regulations, experience in restaurant/catering/banquet field, affinity for working with the public, enjoy working in a team environment to achieve shared goals, ability to motivate others to perform their best work, strives for excellence and motivates others to do so. Embrace the Garden’s mission of plant conservation, education, research and display core values. Experience in personnel management.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Physical Demands: Physical stamina required. Ability to lift 25-100 lbs. May be required to walk or stand for long periods of time, walking at times on uneven terrain. Must be able to bend, climb, balance, reach, stoop, or kneel without hindrance. Work is performed in a combined indoors and outdoors environment, working in all weather conditions during special events. Occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment can range from quiet to moderate elevated noise levels.
How to Apply:
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume as follows:
Fax: (256) 830-5314
Mail: Huntsville Botanical Garden,
4747 Bob Wallace Ave.,
Huntsville, AL 35805
Complete Employment Application (available at Guest Center Front Desk).
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of the position for which you are applying as well as your recent salary history and requirements. ***