Department: Facilities and Grounds
Supervisor: Grounds and Equipment Supervisor
FLSA Salary Classification: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Availability: Ability to work a flexible schedule, including regular evening, weekend, and occasional holiday hours depending on the season.
Performs Garden opening and/or closing responsibilities including, but not limited to clearing and blowing pathways, testing and maintaining safe water features, inspection and maintenance of Garden exhibits and opening, securing buildings. Adheres to policies and procedures that support the overall mission and strategies of the organization through maintaining the grounds and physical appearance of the Garden in an exceptional manner.
Job descriptions are guidelines that attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of employees, and are subject to change as needs and programs change. At Huntsville Botanical Garden they are considered neither inclusive nor exclusive. It is expected that up to 20% of your duties may change annually.
• Works independently and with other department staff to perform basic grounds maintenance tasks, which may include the following: Trash pickup, clearing pathways, opening and securing buildings, water feature testing and inspection, garden exhibit installation, inspection and maintenance.
• Supports Grounds Security by checking and securing buildings, gates, structures, and Garden property.
• Provides day-to-day support of outdoor Garden activities needs, related to grounds usage, venues, equipment, trash removal and security.
• Assists with grounds repair services to include the following: Exhibit installation, visitor amenities and directional signage, structural maintenance, pathway repairs and guest experience enhancements (water features, model train, etc.).
• Works collaboratively with members of the Facilities and Grounds department as well other departments to support both the goals of the department as well as the entire organization.
• May occasionally perform duties of Facility Maintenance Assistant
• Other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Physical Demands: Requires a significant level of physical activity: lifting and carrying (up to 75 lbs.), significant amount of walking over varied terrain, and traveling by vehicles. Sense of vision in the normal range with or without correction. Sense of touch and the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
• Work Environment: Garden grounds and office environment. Work is performed indoors and outdoors, in all weather conditions.
• Equipment: General office equipment, two-way radio, multiple types of vehicles and trailers. Use of the following equipment including but not limited to: Mini excavator, skid loader, tractors and implements, utility vehicles, blowers and general repair shop equipment and tools.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. required. Experience in any general maintenance position or knowledge of general maintenance disciplines a plus. Must possess a valid driver’s license, which is subject to insurability and an annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report.
Exemplify Core Values. Strong interpersonal communication skills. A self-starter who is skilled at problem solving and the ability to identify issues, and consider multiple solutions. Maintains high standards and demonstrates a strong attention to detail.
Please apply via the hsvbg.org website: